A tool for scrutinizing bank bailouts based on multi-period peer benchmarking
In the wake of the recent global financial crisis central banks and regulators are concerned about re-direction of bailout funds into dividends. Yet, we do not know much about the extent banks follow dividend policies and funding decisions optimal to generating shareholders' wealth because banks have been mostly absent from an otherwise expansive literature on dividend policy. A relative, multi-period analysis of the troubled Japanese regional banks for the period 1998-2007 identifies inefficiencies in the levels of dividends, retained earnings, external funding and shareholder returns. The study unfolds further by investigating associations between inefficiencies and non-performing loans, followed by a comparison of efficient versus inefficient banks across good and bad economic times. The methodology captures linkages among yearly financial decisions over multiple periods, thus summarizing long-term performance. The new approach can guide continuous benchmarking of bank financial performance, as well as help policy-makers monitoring potential misappropriation of bailout funds during financial crises. The findings indicate a potential to adjust levels of debt and equity funding, and substantial room for improvement in shareholder returns. Associations between non-performing loans and technical inefficiencies are generally statistically significant.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franklin Allen & Antonio Bernardo & Ivo Welch, .
"A Theory of Dividends Based on Tax Clienteles,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
15-98, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Avkiran, Necmi K. & Morita, Hiroshi, 2010. "Predicting Japanese bank stock performance with a composite relative efficiency metric: A new investment tool," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 254-271, June.
- Gul, Ferdinand A., 1999. "Growth opportunities, capital structure and dividend policies in Japan," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 141-168, June.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1974. "The Empirical Relationships Between the Dividend and Investment Decisions of Firms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 304-18, June.
- Brockett, P. L. & Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Huang, Z. M. & Sun, D. B., 1997. "Data transformations in DEA cone ratio envelopment approaches for monitoring bank performances," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 250-268, April.
- Fumio Hayashi & Edward C. Prescott, 2002.
"Data Appendix to The 1990s in Japan: A Lost Decade,"
hayashi02, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Ward, Damian Robert, 2009. "Product differentiation and consumption efficiency in mortgage markets," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(8), pages 805-809, August.
- Casey, K. Michael & Dickens, Ross N., 2000. "The effects of tax and regulatory changes on commercial bank dividend policy," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 279-293.
- Samy Ben Naceur & Mohamed Goaied & Amel Belanes, 2006. "On the Determinants and Dynamics of Dividend Policy," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 6(1-2), pages 1-23.
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2009. "Opening the black box of efficiency analysis: An illustration with UAE banks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 930-941, August.
- Sturm, Jan-Egbert & Williams, Barry, 2004. "Foreign bank entry, deregulation and bank efficiency: Lessons from the Australian experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1775-1799, July.
- Fumio Hayashi & Edward C. Prescott, 2000.
"The 1990s in Japan: a lost decade,"
607, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Fumio Hayashi & Edward C. Prescott, 2004. "The 1990s in Japan: a lost decade," Chapters, in: The Economics of an Ageing Population, chapter 2 Edward Elgar.
- Fumio Hayashi & Edward C. Prescott, 2002. "The 1990s in Japan: A Lost Decade," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 5(1), pages 206-235, January.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 2000.
"Agency Problems and Dividend Policies around the World,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 1-33, 02.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1998. "Agency Problems and Dividend Policies Around the World," NBER Working Papers 6594, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998. "Agency Problems and Dividend Policies Around the World," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1839, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Mitsuru Mizuno, 2007. "Payout Policy Of Japanese Firms: Analysis On The Survey Of Four Industries Listed On The Tokyo Stock Exchange," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 631-650, December.
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2011. "Association of DEA super-efficiency estimates with financial ratios: Investigating the case for Chinese banks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 323-334, June.
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti, 2010. "An Overview of the Crisis: Causes, Consequences, and Solutions-super-," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 10(s1), pages 1-26.
- Boldin, Robert & Leggett, Keith, 1995. "Bank dividend policy as a signal of bank quality," Financial Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-8.
- Avkiran, Necmi K. & Morita, Hiroshi, 2010. "Benchmarking firm performance from a multiple-stakeholder perspective with an application to Chinese banking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 501-508, December.
- Fukuda, Atsuo, 2000. "Dividend changes and earnings performance in Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 53-66, March.
- Filbeck, Greg & Mullineaux, Donald J., 1999. "Agency costs and dividend payments: The case of bank holding companies," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 409-418.
- Harada, Kimie & Nguyen, Pascal, 2005. "Dividend change context and signaling efficiency in Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 504-522, November.
- Leightner, Jonathan E. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1998. "The Impact of Financial Liberalization on the Performance of Thai Banks," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 115-131, March.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Jiro Nemoto & Mika Goto, 2003. "Measurement of Dynamic Efficiency in Production: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Japanese Electric Utilities," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 191-210, April.
- Miller, Stephen M. & Noulas, Athanasios G., 1996. "The technical efficiency of large bank production," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 495-509, April.
- Roland Gillet & Marc-André Lapointe & Philippe Raimbourg, 2008.
"Dividend policy and reputation,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/142647, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Easterbrook, Frank H, 1984. "Two Agency-Cost Explanations of Dividends," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 650-59, September.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J, 1970. "Marginal Stockholder Tax Rates and the Clientele Effect," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 52(1), pages 68-74, February.
- Bhattacharyya, Arunava & Lovell, C. A. K. & Sahay, Pankaj, 1997. "The impact of liberalization on the productive efficiency of Indian commercial banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 332-345, April.
- Bessler, Wolfgang & Nohel, Tom, 1996. "The stock-market reaction to dividend cuts and omissions by commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1485-1508, November.
- Avkiran, Necmi K. & Thoraneenitiyan, Nakhun, 2010. "Purging data before productivity analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 294-302, March.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Shivdasani, Anil, 1995. "Firm performance, corporate governance, and top executive turnover in Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 29-58, May.
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411.
- Kato, Hideaki Kiyoshi & Loewenstein, Uri & Tsay, Wenyuh, 2002. "Dividend policy, cash flow, and investment in Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 443-473, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pacfin:v:19:y:2011:i:5:p:447-469. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.