Impact of maternal imprisonment on children's probability of grade retention
This paper examines the effect of maternal imprisonment on children's probability of retention using propensity score matching. The sample consists of children attending Chicago Public Schools during years 1991 and 2004 between grade levels kindergarten and eighth grade. These children have mothers who either enter Illinois state prison or Cook county jail during an eight and an half year sampling period. The effect of maternal imprisonment is identified using a difference-in-difference strategy on a sample of children matched by different algorithms. I find that children whose mothers enter prison are less likely to experience grade retention than their matched counterparts at least in the immediate years following the mother's prison entry. These results are robust to different matching schemes as well as to different levels of maternal contact prior to the mother's incarceration.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devah Pager, 2003. "The mark of a criminal record," Natural Field Experiments 00319, The Field Experiments Website.
- A. Smith, Jeffrey & E. Todd, Petra, 2005.
"Does matching overcome LaLonde's critique of nonexperimental estimators?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 125(1-2), pages 305-353.
- Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 2003. "Does Matching Overcome Lalonde's Critique of Nonexperimental Estimators?," University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP) Working Papers 20035, University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP).
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra E. Todd, 1997. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(4), pages 605-654.
- Rosa Minhyo Cho, 2009. "The Impact of Maternal Imprisonment on Children’s Educational Achievement: Results from Children in Chicago Public Schools," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(3).
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 2002. "Propensity Score-Matching Methods For Nonexperimental Causal Studies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 151-161, February.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 1998. "Propensity Score Matching Methods for Non-experimental Causal Studies," NBER Working Papers 6829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Lechner, 2002. "Some practical issues in the evaluation of heterogeneous labour market programmes by matching methods," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 165(1), pages 59-82.
- Michael Lechner, 2005. "Some practical issues in the evaluation of heterogeneous labour market programmes by matching methods," Labor and Demography 0505006, EconWPA.
- Hanlon, Thomas E. & Blatchley, Robert J. & Bennett-Sears, Terry & O'Grady, Kevin E. & Rose, Marc & Callaman, Jason M., 2005. "Vulnerability of children of incarcerated addict mothers: Implications for preventive intervention," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 67-84, January.
- James Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 1998. "Characterizing Selection Bias Using Experimental Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1017-1098, September.
- James Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 1998. "Characterizing Selection Bias Using Experimental Data," NBER Working Papers 6699, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra Todd, 1998. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(2), pages 261-294.
- Christopher Swann & Michelle Sylvester, 2006. "The foster care crisis: What caused caseloads to grow," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 43(2), pages 309-335, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)