equation models represent an important class of macroeconomic systems. Our ongoing research (He and Barnett (2003)) on the Leeper and Sims (1994) Euler equations macroeconometric model is revealing the existence of singularity-induced bifurcations, when the model¡¯s parameters are within a confidence region about the parameter estimates. Although known to engineers, singularity bifurcation has not previously been seen in the economics literature. Knowledge of the nature of singularity-induced bifurcations is likely to become important in understanding the dynamics of modern macroeconometric models. This paper explains singularity-induced bifurcation, its nature, and its identification and contrasts this class of bifurcations with the more common forms of bifurcation we have previously encountered within the parameter space of the Bergstrom and Wymer (1976) continuous time macroeconometric model of the UK economy. (See, e.g., Barnett and He (1999, 2002)).
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barnett William A. & He Yijun, 1999. "Stability Analysis of Continuous-Time Macroeconometric Systems," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(4), pages 1-22, January.
- William A. Barnett & Yijun He & ., 1999.
"Stabilization Policy as Bifurcation Selection: Would Keynesian Policy Work if the World Really were Keynesian?,"
- William Barnett & Yijun He, 2012. "Stabilization Policy as Bifurcation Selection: Would Keynesian Policy Work if the World Really Were Keynesian?," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 201228, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2012.
- Herbert E. Scarf, 1959. "Some Examples of Global Instability of the Competitive Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 79, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Barnett, William A. & He, Yijun, 2002. "Stabilization Policy As Bifurcation Selection: Would Stabilization Policy Work If The Economy Really Were Unstable?," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(05), pages 713-747, November.
- Boldrin, Michele & Woodford, Michael, 1990. "Equilibrium models displaying endogenous fluctuations and chaos : A survey," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 189-222, March.
- Michele Boldrin & Michael Woodford, 1988. "Equilibruim Models Displaying Endogenous Fluctuations and Chaos: A Survey," UCLA Economics Working Papers 530, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Engelbert Dockner & Gustav Feichtinger, 1991. "On the optimality of limit cycles in dynamic economic systems," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 31-50, February.
- William A. Barnett & Jane Binner & W. Erwin Diewert, 2005. "Functional Structure and Approximation in Econometrics (book front matter)," Econometrics 0511006, EconWPA.
- Eric M. Leeper & Christopher A. Sims, 1994. "Toward a Modern Macroeconomic Model Usable for Policy Analysis," NBER Chapters,in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1994, Volume 9, pages 81-140 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric M. Leeper & Christopher A. Sims, 1994. "Toward a modern macroeconomic model usable for policy analysis," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 94-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Eric M. Leeper & Christopher A. Sims, 1994. "Toward a Modern Macroeconomic Model Usable for Policy Analysis," NBER Working Papers 4761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William A. Barnett & Yijun He, 2004. "New Phenomena Identified in a Stochastic Dynamic Macroeconometric Model: A Bifurcation Perspective," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 145, Society for Computational Economics.
- Benhabib, Jess & Nishimura, Kazuo, 1979. "The hopf bifurcation and the existence and stability of closed orbits in multisector models of optimal economic growth," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 421-444, December.
- Bala, Venkatesh & Majumdar, Mukul, 1992. "Chaotic Tatonnement," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 2(4), pages 437-445, October.
- Luenberger, David G & Arbel, Ami, 1977. "Singular Dynamic Leontief Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(4), pages 991-995, May.
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:6:y:2002:i:5:p:713-47 is not listed on IDEAS
- Venkatesh Bala, 1997. "A pitchfork bifurcation in the tatonnement process," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 10(3), pages 521-530. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)