On the transaction values of land use rights in rural China
Land Use Rights (LURs) in China affect farmers’ productivity through investment incentives and the way land is allocated across households. LURs have implication and trade-offs between equity and growth. This paper examines how Chinese farmers might respond if the Chinese government made it legal for farmers to buy or sell LURs. Livelihood choices, labor substitution, market infrastructure, a lack of property right protections, entrepreneurship, bureaucracy, and political will are all influential factors that will determine whether such a program would work. The purpose of this paper is to examine the economics of transaction in LURs, estimate the value at which LURs could transact in equilibrium, and to analyze factors that would affect these price changes. We evaluate farmer’s intention to buy and sell LURs and how much they are willing to pay and receive for LURs.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622864|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liu, Shouying & Carter, Michael R. & Yao, Yang, 1998.
"Dimensions and diversity of property rights in rural China: Dilemmas on the road to further reform,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 1789-1806, October.
- Shouying Liu & MICHAEL R. CARTER & Yang Yao, 1996. "Dimensions and Diversity of Property Rights in Rural China: Delimmas on the Road to Further Reform," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 395, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Jin, Songqing & Deininger, Klaus, 2009. "Land rental markets in the process of rural structural transformation: Productivity and equity impacts from China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 629-646, December.
- Jin, Songqing & Deininger, Klaus W., 2007. "Land Rental Markets in the Process of Rural Structural Transformation: Productivity and Equity Impacts from China," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9932, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Erica Mina Okada, 2010. "Uncertainty, Risk Aversion, and WTA vs. WTP," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(1), pages 75-84, 01-02.
- Dong, Hengjin & Kouyate, Bocar & Snow, Rachel & Mugisha, Frederick & Sauerborn, Rainer, 2003. "Gender's effect on willingness-to-pay for community-based insurance in Burkina Faso," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 153-162, May.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1991. "Precautionary Motives for Holding Assets," NBER Working Papers 3586, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liangliang Gao & Jikun Huang & Scott Rozelle, 2012. "Rental markets for cultivated land and agricultural investments in China," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(4), pages 391-403, 07.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1973. "Regression Analysis when the Dependent Variable is Truncated Normal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 997-1016, November.
- Nancy E. Bockstael & Kenneth E. McConnell, 1980. "Calculating Equivalent and Compensating Variation for Natural Resource Facilities," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 56(1), pages 56-63.
- Martin Ravallion & Dominique van de Walle, 2008. "Land in Transition : Reform and Poverty in Rural Vietnam," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6433, August.
- Nancy H. Chau & Weiwen Zhang, 2011. "Harnessing the Forces of Urban Expansion: The Public Economics of Farmland Development Allowances," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 87(3), pages 488-507.
- Chau, Nancy H. & Zhang, Weiwen, 2010. "Harnessing the Forces of Urban Expansion –The Public Economics of Farmland Development Allowence," Working Papers 126964, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Chau, Nancy H. & Zhang, Weiwen, 2011. "Harnessing the Forces of Urban Expansion - The Public Economics of Farmland Development Allowance," Discussion Papers 99416, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- McDonald, John F & Moffitt, Robert A, 1980. "The Uses of Tobit Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 318-321, May.
- William S. Breffle & Edward R. Morey & Tymon S. Lodder, 1998. "Using Contingent Valuation to Estimate a Neighbourhood's Willingness to Pay to Preserve Undeveloped Urban Land," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 35(4), pages 715-727, April.
- Kung James, Kaising, 1995. "Equal Entitlement versus Tenure Security under a Regime of Collective Property Rights: Peasants' Preference for Institutions in Post-reform Chinese Agriculture," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 82-111, August.
- Cho, Seong-Hoon & Newman, David H. & Bowker, J.M., 2005. "Measuring rural homeowners' willingness to pay for land conservation easements," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 757-770, August.
- Dubourg, W R & Jones-Lee, M W & Loomes, Graham, 1994. "Imprecise Preferences and the WTP-WTA Disparity," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 115-133, October.
- Hanemann, W Michael, 1991. "Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept: How Much Can They Differ?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 635-647, June.
- Welsh, Michael P. & Poe, Gregory L., 1998. "Elicitation Effects in Contingent Valuation: Comparisons to a Multiple Bounded Discrete Choice Approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 170-185, September.
- Stephen R. Boucher & Michael R. Carter & Catherine Guirkinger, 2008. "Risk Rationing and Wealth Effects in Credit Markets: Theory and Implications for Agricultural Development," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 409-423.
- Hans P. Binswanger & Klaus Deininger & Gershon Feder, 1993. "Agricultural Land Relations in the Developing World," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1242-1248.
- Richard C. Bishop & Thomas A. Heberlein, 1979. "Measuring Values of Extramarket Goods: Are Indirect Measures Biased?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 61(5), pages 926-930.
- David de Ferranti & Guillermo E. Perry & William Foster & Daniel Lederman & Alberto Valdés, 2005. "Beyond the City: The Rural Contribution to Development," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7328, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jcecon:v:41:y:2013:i:3:p:863-878. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.