Satisfaction with job aspects: Do patterns change over time?
This study examines the evolution of job satisfaction in a service organization over a six-year period. The following aspects affecting job satisfaction were examined: management practices, rewards, work climate and the work itself. Data were collected from employees of the same service organization on three separate occasions (N2001=297; N2003=222; N2007=243). The predicted model was tested using multi-group confirmatory factor analysis and a series of ANOVA was carried out to test differences regarding the job satisfaction aspects across the three waves. Results reveal the configurational invariance of satisfaction with job aspects in the three waves; satisfaction with each aspect contributes differently to the job satisfaction construct and individual evaluation of most of the aspects change across time. The main theoretical implication of this study resides in its contribution towards filling the literature gap on satisfaction with job aspects from a time perspective. The results suggest that managers should develop specific human resource practices in order to enhance different aspects of job satisfaction across time.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alina Ileana Petrescu & Rob Simmons, 2008. "Human resource management practices and workers' job satisfaction," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(7), pages 651-667, November.
- Snipes, Robin L. & Oswald, Sharon L. & LaTour, Michael & Armenakis, Achilles A., 2005. "The effects of specific job satisfaction facets on customer perceptions of service quality: an employee-level analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(10), pages 1330-1339, October.
- DeConinck, James B., 2010. "The influence of ethical climate on marketing employees' job attitudes and behaviors," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 384-391, April.
- Rutherford, Brian & Boles, James & Hamwi, G. Alexander & Madupalli, Ramana & Rutherford, Leann, 2009. "The role of the seven dimensions of job satisfaction in salesperson's attitudes and behaviors," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(11), pages 1146-1151, November.
- Boselie, J.P.P.E.F. & van der Wiele, A., 2001. "Employee Perceptions of HRM and TQM and the Effects on Satisfaction and INtention to Leave," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-42-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Nerkar, Atul A. & McGrath, Rita Gunther & MacMillan, Ian C., 1996. "Three facets of satisfaction and their influence on the performance of innovation teams," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 167-188, May.
- DeConinck, James B. & Stilwell, C. Dean, 2004. "Incorporating organizational justice, role states, pay satisfaction and supervisor satisfaction in a model of turnover intentions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 225-231, March.
- Ben Pelzer & Rob Eisinga & Philip Franses, 2005. "“Panelizing” Repeated Cross Sections," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 155-174, 04.
- Skalli, Ali & Theodossiou, Ioannis & Vasileiou, Efi, 2008. "Jobs as Lancaster goods: Facets of job satisfaction and overall job satisfaction," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1906-1920, October.
- Wood, Van R. & Chonko, Lawrence B. & Hunt, Shelby D., 1986. "Social responsibility and personal success: Are they incompatible?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 193-212, June.
- P. J. Sloane & H. Williams, 2000. "Job Satisfaction, Comparison Earnings, and Gender," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 14(3), pages 473-502, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:65:y:2012:i:5:p:609-616. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.