Value creation in banking through strategic alliances and joint ventures
A large number of studies (DeYoung et al., 2009) analyze merger outcomes in the financial industry, while other forms of business cooperation are still poorly investigated. Our paper examines results of strategic alliances and joint ventures in European and US banking over the period 1999–2009. First, we estimate abnormal returns around the deal announcement date and then these are regressed on a large set of explanatory variables. We show that joint ventures create shareholder value when involving non-banking financial partners and allowing banks to expand abroad, while international strategic alliances tend to destroy shareholder value.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goddard, John & Liu, Hong & Molyneux, Philip & Wilson, John O.S., 2011.
"The persistence of bank profit,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2881-2890, November.
- Mikkelson, Wayne H. & Partch, M. Megan, 1988. "Withdrawn Security Offerings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 119-133, June.
- Kimberly C. Gleason & Ike Mathur & Roy A. Wiggins, III, 2003. "Evidence on Value Creation in the Financial Services Industries through the Use of Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 38(2), pages 213-234, 05.
- Fiordelisi, Franco & Molyneux, Phil, 2010. "The determinants of shareholder value in European banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1189-1200, June.
- José Manuel Campa & Ignacio Hernando, 2004. "Shareholder Value Creation in European M&As," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 10(1), pages 47-81.
- Franco Fiordelisi & Ornella Ricci, 2011. "Bancassurance efficiency gains: evidence from the Italian banking and insurance industries," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(9-10), pages 789-810, November.
- Lozano-Vivas, Ana & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "The impact of non-traditional activities on the estimation of bank efficiency: International evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1436-1449, July.
- Lawrence White & Ingyu Chiou, 2003.
"Measuring the Value of Strategic Alliances in the Wake of a Financial Implosion: Evidence from Japan's Financial Services Sector,"
03-23, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Chiou, Ingyu & White, Lawrence J., 2005. "Measuring the value of strategic alliances in the wake of a financial implosion: Evidence from Japan's financial services sector," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2455-2473, October.
- Beck , Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2009. "Financial institutions and markets across countries and over time - data and analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4943, The World Bank.
- Su, Han Chan & Kensinger, John W. & Keown, Arthur J. & Martin, John D., 1997. "Do strategic alliances create value?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 199-221, November.
- Meschi, Pierre-Xavier & Cheng, Louis T. W., 2002. "Stock price reactions to Sino-European joint ventures," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 119-126, July.
- Mentz, M. & Schiereck, D., 2008. "Cross-border mergers and the Cross-border Effect: The Case of the Automotive Supply Industry," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 34965, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- James W. Kolari & Seppo Pynnönen, 2010. "Event Study Testing with Cross-sectional Correlation of Abnormal Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(11), pages 3996-4025, November.
- Shao-Chi Chang & Sheng-Syan Chen & Jung-Ho Lai, 2008. "The Wealth Effect of Japanese-US Strategic Alliances," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 37(2), pages 271-301, 06.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- Harrington, Scott E. & Shrider, David G., 2007. "All Events Induce Variance: Analyzing Abnormal Returns When Effects Vary across Firms," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(01), pages 229-256, March.
- Campa, José Manuel & Hernando, Ignacio, 2004. "Shareholder Value Creation in European M&As," CEPR Discussion Papers 4400, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fiordelisi, Franco & Marqués-Ibáñez, David & Molyneux, Phil, 2010.
"Efficiency and risk in european banking,"
Working Paper Series
1211, European Central Bank.
- Kimberly C. Gleason & Ike Mathur & Roy A. Wiggins, 2006. "The Use Of Acquisitions And Joint Ventures By U.S. Banks Expanding Abroad," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 29(4), pages 503-522.
- Moeller, Sara B. & Schlingemann, Frederik P. & Stulz, Rene M., 2004. "Firm size and the gains from acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 201-228, August.
- Markus Mentz & Dirk Schiereck, 2008. "Cross-border mergers and the cross-border effect: the case of the automotive supply industry," Review of Managerial Science, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 199-218, November.
- Martynova, Marina & Renneboog, Luc, 2008. "A century of corporate takeovers: What have we learned and where do we stand?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2148-2177, October.
- Robert DeYoung & Douglas Evanoff & Philip Molyneux, 2009. "Mergers and Acquisitions of Financial Institutions: A Review of the Post-2000 Literature," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 87-110, December.
- Boehmer, Ekkehart & Masumeci, Jim & Poulsen, Annette B., 1991. "Event-study methodology under conditions of event-induced variance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 253-272, December.
- Marciukaityte, Dalia & Roskelley, Kenneth & Wang, Hua, 2009. "Strategic alliances by financial services firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(11), pages 1193-1199, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:37:y:2013:i:5:p:1386-1396. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.