Predictive likelihood for Bayesian model selection and averaging
This paper investigates the performance of the predictive distributions of Bayesian models. To overcome the difficulty of evaluating the predictive likelihood, we introduce the concept of expected log-predictive likelihoods for Bayesian models, and propose an estimator of the expected log-predictive likelihood. The estimator is derived by correcting the asymptotic bias of the log-likelihood of the predictive distribution as an estimate of its expected value. We investigate the relationship between the proposed criterion and the traditional information criteria and show that the proposed criterion is a natural extension of the traditional ones. A new model selection criterion and a new model averaging method are then developed, with the weights for the individual models being dependent on their expected log-predictive likelihoods. We examine the performance of the proposed method using Monte Carlo experiments and a real example, which concerns the prediction of quarterly growth rates of real gross domestic product in the G7 countries. Out-of-sample forecasts show that the proposed methodology outperforms other methods available in the literature.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Koop & Simon M. Potter, 2003.
"Forecasting in large macroeconomic panels using Bayesian Model Averaging,"
163, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Gary Koop & Simon Potter, 2003. "Forecasting in Large Macroeconomic Panels using Bayesian Model Averaging," Discussion Papers in Economics 04/16, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Sadanori Konishi, 2004. "Bayesian information criteria and smoothing parameter selection in radial basis function networks," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 91(1), pages 27-43, March.
- Fernandez, Carmen & Ley, Eduardo & Steel, Mark F. J., 2001.
"Benchmark priors for Bayesian model averaging,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 381-427, February.
- Carmen Fernández & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, . "Benchmark priors for Bayesian Model averaging," Working Papers 98-06, FEDEA.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F J Steel, 1998. "Benchmark priors for Bayesian model averaging," ESE Discussion Papers 26, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F.J. Steel, 1998. "Benchmark Priors for Bayesian Model Averaging," Econometrics 9804001, EconWPA, revised 31 Jul 1999.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F J Steel, 1998. "Benchmark priors for Bayesian model averaging," ESE Discussion Papers 66, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Min, Chung-ki & Zellner, Arnold, 1993.
"Bayesian and non-Bayesian methods for combining models and forecasts with applications to forecasting international growth rates,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 89-118, March.
- Min, C.K. & Zellner, A., 1992. ""Bayesian and Non-Bayesian Methods for Combining Models and Forecasts with Applications to Forecasting International Growth Rates"," Papers 90-92-23, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 1999.
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 293-335, October.
- Giacomini, Raffaella & White, Halbert, 2003.
"Tests of Conditional Predictive Ability,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt5jk0j5jh, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Lucrezia Reichlin & Marco Lippi, 2000.
"The generalised dynamic factor model: identification and estimation,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10143, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Mario Forni & Marc Hallin & Marco Lippi & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2000. "The Generalized Dynamic-Factor Model: Identification And Estimation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(4), pages 540-554, November.
- Forni, Mario & Hallin, Marc & Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1999. "The Generalized Dynamic Factor Model: Identification and Estimation," CEPR Discussion Papers 2338, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Claeskens,Gerda & Hjort,Nils Lid, 2008. "Model Selection and Model Averaging," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521852258, November.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 2002. "Macroeconomic Forecasting Using Diffusion Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 147-62, April.
- Eklund, Jana & Karlsson, Sune, 2005.
"Forecast Combination and Model Averaging using Predictive Measures,"
Working Paper Series
191, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Jana Eklund & Sune Karlsson, 2007. "Forecast Combination and Model Averaging Using Predictive Measures," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(2-4), pages 329-363.
- Eklund, Jana & Karlsson, Sune, 2005. "Forecast Combination and Model Averaging Using Predictive Measures," CEPR Discussion Papers 5268, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James H. Stock & Mark W.Watson, 2003.
"Forecasting Output and Inflation: The Role of Asset Prices,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 41(3), pages 788-829, September.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2001. "Forecasting output and inflation: the role of asset prices," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2001. "Forecasting Output and Inflation: The Role of Asset Prices," NBER Working Papers 8180, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2007. "Least Squares Model Averaging," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(4), pages 1175-1189, 07.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2008. "Least-squares forecast averaging," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 342-350, October.
- Zellner, Arnold, 2006. "S. James Press And Bayesian Analysis," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(05), pages 667-684, November.
- Jose M. Perez, 2002. "Expected-posterior prior distributions for model selection," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 491-512, August.
- George Kapetanios & Vincent Labhard & Simon Price, 2006.
"Forecasting Using Predictive Likelihood Model Averaging,"
567, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Kapetanios, George & Labhard, Vincent & Price, Simon, 2006. "Forecasting using predictive likelihood model averaging," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 91(3), pages 373-379, June.
- Tomohiro Ando, 2007. "Bayesian predictive information criterion for the evaluation of hierarchical Bayesian and empirical Bayes models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(2), pages 443-458.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfor:v:26:y::i:4:p:744-763. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.