Forecasting using predictive likelihood model averaging
Recently, there has been increasing interest in forecasting methods that utilise large datasets. We explore the possibility of forecasting with model averaging using the out-of-sample forecasting performance of various models in a frequentist setting, using the predictive likelihood. We apply our method to forecasting UK inflation and find that the new method performs well; in some respects it outperforms other averaging methods.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sin, Chor-Yiu & White, Halbert, 1996. "Information criteria for selecting possibly misspecified parametric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 207-225.
- Jonathan H. Wright, 2003.
"Bayesian Model Averaging and exchange rate forecasts,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
779, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Wright, Jonathan H., 2008. "Bayesian Model Averaging and exchange rate forecasts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 329-341, October.
- Kapetanios, G. & Labhard, V. & Price, S., 2007.
"Forecasting using Bayesian and information theoretic model averaging: an application to UK inflation,"
07/15, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Kapetanios, George & Labhard, Vincent & Price, Simon, 2008. "Forecasting Using Bayesian and Information-Theoretic Model Averaging: An Application to U.K. Inflation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 33-41, January.
- George Kapetanios & Vincent Labhard & Simon Price, 2005. "Forecasting using Bayesian and information theoretic model averaging: an application to UK inflation," Bank of England working papers 268, Bank of England.
- George Kapetanios & Vincent Labhard & Simon Price, 2006. "Forecasting using Bayesian and Information Theoretic Model Averaging: An Application to UK Inflation," Working Papers 566, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Jana Eklund & Sune Karlsson, 2007.
"Forecast Combination and Model Averaging Using Predictive Measures,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(2-4), pages 329-363.
- Eklund, Jana & Karlsson, Sune, 2005. "Forecast Combination and Model Averaging using Predictive Measures," Working Paper Series 191, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Eklund, Jana & Karlsson, Sune, 2005. "Forecast Combination and Model Averaging Using Predictive Measures," CEPR Discussion Papers 5268, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gary Koop & Simon Potter, 2003.
"Forecasting in Large Macroeconomic Panels using Bayesian Model Averaging,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
04/16, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Gary Koop & Simon Potter, 2003. "Forecasting in large macroeconomic panels using Bayesian Model Averaging," Staff Reports 163, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hamparsum Bozdogan, 1987. "Model selection and Akaike's Information Criterion (AIC): The general theory and its analytical extensions," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 345-370, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:91:y:2006:i:3:p:373-379. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.