Forecast Combination and Model Averaging using Predictive Measures
We extend the standard approach to Bayesian forecast combination by forming the weights for the model averaged forecast from the predictive likelihood rather than the standard marginal likelihood. The use of predictive measures of fit offers greater protection against in-sample overfitting and improves forecast performance. For the predictive likelihood we show analytically that the forecast weights have good large and small sample properties. This is confirmed in a simulation study and an application to forecasts of the Swedish inflation rate where forecast combination using the predictive likelihood outperforms standard Bayesian model averaging using the marginal likelihood.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sveriges Riksbank, SE-103 37 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: 08 - 787 00 00
Fax: 08-21 05 31
Web page: http://www.riksbank.com/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Hendry & Michael P. Clements, 2001.
"Pooling of Forecasts,"
2002-W9, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Makridakis, Spyros & Hibon, Michele, 2000. "The M3-Competition: results, conclusions and implications," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 451-476.
- Fernandez, Carmen & Ley, Eduardo & Steel, Mark F. J., 2001.
"Benchmark priors for Bayesian model averaging,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 381-427, February.
- Carmen Fernández & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, . "Benchmark priors for Bayesian Model averaging," Working Papers 98-06, FEDEA.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F J Steel, 1998. "Benchmark priors for Bayesian model averaging," ESE Discussion Papers 26, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F J Steel, 1998. "Benchmark priors for Bayesian model averaging," ESE Discussion Papers 66, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F.J. Steel, 1998. "Benchmark Priors for Bayesian Model Averaging," Econometrics 9804001, EconWPA, revised 31 Jul 1999.
- Jacobson, Tor & Karlsson, Sune, 2002.
"Finding Good Predictors for Inflation: A Bayesian Model Averaging Approach,"
Working Paper Series
138, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Sune Karlsson & Tor Jacobson, 2004. "Finding good predictors for inflation: a Bayesian model averaging approach," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(7), pages 479-496.
- Min, Chung-ki & Zellner, Arnold, 1993.
"Bayesian and non-Bayesian methods for combining models and forecasts with applications to forecasting international growth rates,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 89-118, March.
- Min, C.K. & Zellner, A., 1992. ""Bayesian and Non-Bayesian Methods for Combining Models and Forecasts with Applications to Forecasting International Growth Rates"," Papers 90-92-23, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Gary Koop & Simon Potter, 2004. "Forecasting in dynamic factor models using Bayesian model averaging," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 550-565, December.
- Elliott, Graham & Timmermann, Allan, 2002.
"Optimal Forecast Combination Under General Loss Functions and Forecast Error Distributions,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt15r9t2q2, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Elliott, Graham & Timmermann, Allan, 2004. "Optimal forecast combinations under general loss functions and forecast error distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 47-79, September.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 2002. "Macroeconomic Forecasting Using Diffusion Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 147-62, April.
- Guillaume Chevillon & David F. Hendry, 2004.
"Non-Parametric Direct Multi-step Estimation for Forecasting Economic Processes,"
2004-W12, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Chevillon, Guillaume & Hendry, David F., 2005. "Non-parametric direct multi-step estimation for forecasting economic processes," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 201-218.
- David Hendry & Guillaume Chevillon, 2004. "Non-Parametric Direct Multi-step Estimation for Forecasting Economic Processes," Economics Series Working Papers 196, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Makridakis, Spyros & Chatfield, Chris & Hibon, Michele & Lawrence, Michael & Mills, Terence & Ord, Keith & Simmons, LeRoy F., 1993. "The M2-competition: A real-time judgmentally based forecasting study," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 5-22, April.
- Clemen, Robert T., 1989. "Combining forecasts: A review and annotated bibliography," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 559-583.
- Fernandez-Villaverde, Jesus & Francisco Rubio-Ramirez, Juan, 2004. "Comparing dynamic equilibrium models to data: a Bayesian approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 153-187, November.
- Bauwens, Luc & Lubrano, Michel & Richard, Jean-Francois, 2000. "Bayesian Inference in Dynamic Econometric Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773139, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:rbnkwp:0191. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lena Löfgren)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.