Forecasting Using Predictive Likelihood Model Averaging
Recently, there has been increasing interest in forecasting methods that utilise large datasets. We explore the possibility of forecasting with model averaging using the out-of-sample forecasting performance of various models in a frequentist setting, using the predictive likelihood. We apply our method to forecasting UK inflation and find that the new method performs well; in some respects it outperforms other averaging methods.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: London E1 4NS|
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7882 5096
Fax: +44 (0) 20 8983 3580
Web page: http://www.econ.qmul.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan H. Wright, 2003.
"Bayesian Model Averaging and exchange rate forecasts,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
779, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Wright, Jonathan H., 2008. "Bayesian Model Averaging and exchange rate forecasts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 329-341, October.
- Eklund, Jana & Karlsson, Sune, 2005.
"Forecast Combination and Model Averaging Using Predictive Measures,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5268, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jana Eklund & Sune Karlsson, 2007. "Forecast Combination and Model Averaging Using Predictive Measures," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(2-4), pages 329-363.
- Eklund, Jana & Karlsson, Sune, 2005. "Forecast Combination and Model Averaging using Predictive Measures," Working Paper Series 191, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Kapetanios, George & Labhard, Vincent & Price, Simon, 2008.
"Forecasting Using Bayesian and Information-Theoretic Model Averaging: An Application to U.K. Inflation,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 33-41, January.
- George Kapetanios & Vincent Labhard & Simon Price, 2005. "Forecasting using Bayesian and information theoretic model averaging: an application to UK inflation," Bank of England working papers 268, Bank of England.
- Kapetanios, G. & Labhard, V. & Price, S., 2007. "Forecasting using Bayesian and information theoretic model averaging: an application to UK inflation," Working Papers 07/15, Department of Economics, City University London.
- George Kapetanios & Vincent Labhard & Simon Price, 2006. "Forecasting using Bayesian and Information Theoretic Model Averaging: An Application to UK Inflation," Working Papers 566, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Gary Koop & Simon Potter, 2003.
"Forecasting in Large Macroeconomic Panels using Bayesian Model Averaging,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
04/16, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Gary Koop & Simon M. Potter, 2003. "Forecasting in large macroeconomic panels using Bayesian Model Averaging," Staff Reports 163, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hamparsum Bozdogan, 1987. "Model selection and Akaike's Information Criterion (AIC): The general theory and its analytical extensions," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 345-370, September.
- Sin, Chor-Yiu & White, Halbert, 1996. "Information criteria for selecting possibly misspecified parametric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 207-225.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qmw:qmwecw:wp567. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.