Minimum standards for investment performance: A new perspective on non-life insurer solvency
The aim of this paper is to develop an alternative approach for assessing an insurer's solvency as a proposal for a standard model for Solvency II. Instead of deriving minimum capital requirements-as is done in solvency regulation-our model provides company-specific minimum standards for risk and return of investment performance, given the distribution structure of liabilities and a predefined safety level. The idea behind this approach is that in a situation of weak solvency, an insurer's asset allocation can be adjusted much more easily in the short term than can, for example, claims cost distributions, operating expenses, or equity capital. Hence, instead of using separate models for capital regulation and solvency regulation-as is typically done in most insurance markets-our single model will reduce the complexity and costs for insurers as well as for regulators. In this paper, we first develop the model framework and second test its applicability using data from a German non-life insurer.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cuoco, Domenico & Liu, Hong, 2006. "An analysis of VaR-based capital requirements," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 362-394, July.
- Xavier Freixas & Gyöngyi Lóránth & Alan D. Morrison, 2005.
"Regulating financial conglomerates,"
Economics Working Papers
820, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Freixas, Xavier & Lóránth, Gyöngyi & Morrison, Alan, 2005. "Regulating Financial Conglomerates," CEPR Discussion Papers 5036, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xavier Freixas & Gyongyi Loranth & Alan D. Morrison & Hyun Song Shin, 2004. "Regulating Financial Conglomerates," Working Paper Research 54, National Bank of Belgium.
- Xavier Freixas & GyÃ¶ngyi LÃ³rÃ¡nth & Alan D. Morrison, 2005. "Regulating Financial Conglomerates," OFRC Working Papers Series 2005fe03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Eling, Martin & Schuhmacher, Frank, 2007. "Does the choice of performance measure influence the evaluation of hedge funds?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2632-2647, September.
- Carson, James & Hoyt, Robert, 2000. "Evaluating the risk of life insurer insolvency: implications from the US for the European Union," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 297-314, December.
- Robert L. Winkler & Gary M. Roodman & Robert R. Britney, 1972. "The Determination of Partial Moments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(3), pages 290-296, November.
- Thomas Steffen, 2008. "Solvency II and the Work of CEIOPS," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(1), pages 60-65, January.
- Consiglio, Andrea & Cocco, Flavio & Zenios, Stavros A., 2008.
"Asset and liability modelling for participating policies with guarantees,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 186(1), pages 380-404, April.
- Andrea Consiglio & Flavio Cocco & Stavros A. Zenios, 2001. "Asset and Liability Modeling for Participating Policies with Guarantees," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-41, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Steven Pottier & David Sommer, 2002. "The Effectiveness of Public and Private Sector Summary Risk Measures in Predicting Insurer Insolvencies," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 21(1), pages 101-116, February.
- J. David Cummins & Martin F. Grace & Richard D. Phillips, 1998. "Regulatory solvency prediction in property-liability insurance: risk-based capital, audit ratios, and cash flow simulation," Working Papers 98-20, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- J. Cummins & Neil Doherty, 2002. "Capitalization of the Property-Liability Insurance Industry: Overview," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 21(1), pages 5-14, February.
- Masulis, Ronald W. & Korwar, Ashok N., 1986. "Seasoned equity offerings : An empirical investigation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 91-118.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Hato Schmeiser, 2004. "New Risk-Based Capital Standards in the European Union: A Proposal Based on Empirical Data," Risk Management and Insurance Review, American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 41-52, 03.
- Peter Liebwein, 2006. "Risk Models for Capital Adequacy: Applications in the Context of Solvency II and Beyond," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(3), pages 528-550, July.
- Richard A. Posner, 1974.
"Theories of Economic Regulation,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 5(2), pages 335-358, Autumn.
- Ray Rees & Hugh Gravelle & Achim Wambach, 1999. "Regulation of Insurance Markets," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 55-68, June.
- Cummins, J. David & Harrington, Scott E. & Klein, Robert, 1995.
"Insolvency experience, risk-based capital, and prompt corrective action in property-liability insurance,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 511-527, June.
- J. David Cummins & Scott E. Harrington & Robert Klein, 1995. "nsolvency Experience, Risk-Based Capital, and Prompt Corrective Action in Property-Liability Insurance," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 95-06, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jan Monkiewicz, 2007. "The Future of Insurance Supervision in the EU: National Authorities, Lead Supervisors or EU Supranational Institution?," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 393-400, July.
- Barros, Pedro Pita, 1995. "Conduct Effects of Gradual Entry Liberalization in Insurance," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 45-60, July.
- Anton van Rossum, 2005. "Regulation and Insurance Economics," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 43-46, January.
- Tasche, Dirk, 2002.
"Expected shortfall and beyond,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1519-1533, July.
- Powers, Michael R., 1995. "A theory of risk, return and solvency," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 101-118, October.
- Lamm-Tennant, Joan & Starks, Laura & Stokes, Lynne, 1996. "Considerations of cost trade-offs in insurance solvency surveillance policy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 835-852, June.
- Lynn Wirch, Julia & Hardy, Mary R., 1999. "A synthesis of risk measures for capital adequacy," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 337-347, December.
- Brito, Ney O, 1977. "Marketability Restrictions and the Valuation of Capital Assets under Uncertainty," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1109-23, September.
- Thomas Schubert & Gundula Grießmann, 2007. "German Proposal for a Standard Approach for Solvency II," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(1), pages 133-150, January.
- Patricia Munch & Dennis E. Smallwood, 1980. "Solvency Regulation in the Property-Liability Insurance Industry: Empirical Evidence," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(1), pages 261-279, Spring.
- Consiglio, Andrea & Saunders, David & Zenios, Stavros A., 2006. "Asset and liability management for insurance products with minimum guarantees: The UK case," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 645-667, February.
- Peter Zweifel & Harry Telser & Stephan Vaterlaus, 2006. "Consumer Resistance Against Regulation: The Case of Health Care," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 319-332, 05.
- Renbao Chen & Kie Ann Wong, 2004. "The Determinants of Financial Health of Asian Insurance Companies," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 71(3), pages 469-499.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:45:y:2009:i:1:p:113-122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.