The Value of Integrative Risk Management for Insurance Products with Guarantees
Insurers increasingly offer policies that converge with the products of the capital markets, and they face a need for integrative asset and liability management strategies. In this paper we show that an integrative approach -- based on scenario optimization modeling -- adds value to the risk management process, when compared to traditional methods. Empirical analysis with products offered by the Italian insurance industry are presented. The results have implications for the design of competitive insurance policies, and some examples are analyzed.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3301 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, 3620 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104.6367|
Web page: http://fic.wharton.upenn.edu/fic/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David F. Babbel & Craig Merrill, 1997. "Economic Valuation Models for Insurers," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-44, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1976. "The pricing of equity-linked life insurance policies with an asset value guarantee," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 195-213, June.
- Sergio Siglienti, 2000. "Consequences of the Reduction of Interest Rates on Insurance," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(1), pages 63-77, January.
- Boyle, Phelim P. & Hardy, Mary R., 1997. "Reserving for maturity guarantees: Two approaches," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 113-127, November.
- Grosen, Anders & Lochte Jorgensen, Peter, 2000. "Fair valuation of life insurance liabilities: The impact of interest rate guarantees, surrender options, and bonus policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 37-57, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:pennin:01-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.