The Risk Management of Minimum Return Guarantees
We analyse contracts which pay out a guaranteed minimum rate of return and a fraction of a positive excess rate, which is specified on the basis of a benchmark portfolio. These contracts are closely related to unit-linked life-insurance/savings plans products and can be considered as alternatives to a direct investment in the underlying benchmark portfolio. The option embedded into the savings plan is in fact a power option, and thus the specification of the "fair" contract parameters is closely related to well known features of these financial derivatives. The key issue, both in order to rigorously justify valuation by arbitrage arguments and to prevent the guarantees from becoming uncontrollable liabilities to the issuer, is the risk management of the embedded options by a tractable and realistic hedging strategy. The long maturity of life-insurance products makes it necessary to lift Black/Scholes assumptions and consider an uncertain volatility scenario, thus explicitly taking into account "model risk". In this context, we show how to determine the contract parameters conservatively and implement robust risk management strategies. This highlights the necessity of a careful choice of guarantees which are granted to the insurance customer and suggests a new role for a type of "bonus account" customary in many life-insurance contracts.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.qfrc.uts.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- T. J. Lyons, 1995. "Uncertain volatility and the risk-free synthesis of derivatives," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 117-133.
- Nielsen, J. Aase & Klaus Sandmann, 1995.
"Equity-linked life insurance - a model with stochastic interest rates,"
Discussion Paper Serie B
291, University of Bonn, Germany, revised Mar 1995.
- Aase Nielsen, J. & Sandmann, Klaus, 1995. "Equity-linked life insurance: A model with stochastic interest rates," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 225-253, July.
- Nicole El Karoui & Monique Jeanblanc-Picquè & Steven E. Shreve, 1998. "Robustness of the Black and Scholes Formula," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 93-126.
- Pelsser, Antoon, 2003.
"Pricing and hedging guaranteed annuity options via static option replication,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 283-296, October.
- Antoon Pelsser, 2002. "Pricing and Hedging Guaranteed Annuity Options via Static Option Replication," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-037/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Boyle, Phelim P. & Hardy, Mary R., 1997. "Reserving for maturity guarantees: Two approaches," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 113-127, November.
- Schrager, David F. & Pelsser, Antoon A.J., 2004. "Pricing Rate of Return Guarantees in Regular Premium Unit Linked Insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 369-398, October.
- Robert A. Jarrow, 2009. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 69-96, November.
- Antje B. Mahayni & Klaus Sandmann, 2008. "Return Guarantees with Delayed Payment," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 207-231, 05.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1979. "Alternative Investment Strategies for the Issuers of Equity Linked Life Insurance Policies with an Asset Value Guarantee," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(1), pages 63-93, January.
- Chen, An & Suchanecki, Michael, 2007.
"Default risk, bankruptcy procedures and the market value of life insurance liabilities,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 231-255, March.
- An Chen & Michael Suchanecki, 2006. "Default Risk, Bankruptcy Procedures and the Market Value of Life Insurance Liabilities," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse8_2006, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1976. "The pricing of equity-linked life insurance policies with an asset value guarantee," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 195-213, June.
- M. Avellaneda & A. Levy & A. ParAS, 1995. "Pricing and hedging derivative securities in markets with uncertain volatilities," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 73-88.
- Grosen, Anders & Løchte Jørgensen, Peter, 2001. "Life Insurance Liabilities at Market Value," Finance Working Papers 01-4, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1981. "Martingales and stochastic integrals in the theory of continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-260, August.
- Bacinello, Anna Rita & Ortu, Fulvio, 1993. "Pricing equity-linked life insurance with endogenous minimum guarantees," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 245-257, June.
- Grosen, Anders & Lochte Jorgensen, Peter, 2000. "Fair valuation of life insurance liabilities: The impact of interest rate guarantees, surrender options, and bonus policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 37-57, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:rpaper:102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.