Asset and Liability Modeling for Participating Policies with Guarantees
We study the problem of asset and liability management of participating insurance policies with guarantees. We develop a scenario optimization model for integrative asset and liability management, analyze the tradeoffs in structuring such policies, and study alternative choices in funding them. The nonlinearly constrained optimization model can be linearized through closed form solutions of the dynamic equations. Thus large-scale problems are solved with standard methods. We report on an empirical analysis of policies offered by Italian insurers. The optimized model results are in general agreement with current industry practices. However, some inefficiencies are identified and potential improvements are highlighted.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3301 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, 3620 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104.6367|
Web page: http://fic.wharton.upenn.edu/fic/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grosen, Anders & Lochte Jorgensen, Peter, 2000. "Fair valuation of life insurance liabilities: The impact of interest rate guarantees, surrender options, and bonus policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 37-57, February.
- David F. Babbel & Craig Merrill, 1997. "Economic Valuation Models for Insurers," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-44, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Brennan, Michael J. & Schwartz, Eduardo S., 1976. "The pricing of equity-linked life insurance policies with an asset value guarantee," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 195-213, June.
- Boyle, Phelim P. & Hardy, Mary R., 1997. "Reserving for maturity guarantees: Two approaches," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 113-127, November.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1979. "Alternative Investment Strategies for the Issuers of Equity Linked Life Insurance Policies with an Asset Value Guarantee," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(1), pages 63-93, January.
- Bacinello, Anna Rita, 2001. "Fair Pricing of Life Insurance Participating Policies with a Minimum Interest Rate Guaranteed," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(02), pages 275-297, November.
- Wilkie, A.D., 1995. "More on a Stochastic Asset Model for Actuarial Use," British Actuarial Journal, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(05), pages 777-964, December.
- Sergio Siglienti, 2000. "Consequences of the Reduction of Interest Rates on Insurance," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan;The Geneva Association, vol. 25(1), pages 63-77, January.
- Golub, Bennett & Holmer, Martin & McKendall, Raymond & Pohlman, Lawrence & Zenios, Stavros A., 1995. "A stochastic programming model for money management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 282-296, September.
- Miltersen, Kristian R. & Persson, Svein-Arne, 1999. "Pricing rate of return guarantees in a Heath-Jarrow-Morton framework," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 307-325, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:pennin:00-41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.