The optimal tax on antebellum US cotton exports
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
References listed on IDEAS
- Harley, C. Knick, 1992.
"The antebellum American tariff: Food exports and manufacturing,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 375-400, October.
- Harley, C.K., 1991. "The Antebellum American Tariff : Food Exports and Manufacturing," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9105, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- James, John A, 1981. "The Optimal Tariff in the Antebellum United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 726-734, September.
- Julian M. Alston & Colin A. Carter & Richard Green & Daniel Pick, 1990.
"Whither Armington Trade Models?,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(2), pages 455-467.
- Alston, Julian M. & Carter, Colin A. & Green, Richard & Pick, Daniel, 1989. "Whither Armington Trade Models?," 1989 Annual Meeting, July 30-August 2, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 270703, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Carl Van Duyne, 1975. "Commodity Cartels And The Theory Of Derived Demand," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 597-612, August.
- Panagariya, Arvind & Shah, Shekhar & Mishra, Deepak, 2001.
"Demand elasticities in international trade: are they really low?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 313-342, April.
- Shah, Shekhar & Mishra, Deepak & Panagariya, Arvind, 1996. "Demand elasticities in international trade : are they really low?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1712, The World Bank.
- Brown, Drusilla K., 1987. "Tariffs, the terms of trade, and national product differentiation," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 503-526.
- David G. Surdam, 1998. "King Cotton: Monarch or Pretender? The State of the Market for Raw Cotton on the Eve of the American Civil War," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 51(1), pages 113-132, February.
- Alston, Julian M & Foster, Kenneth A & Green, Richard D, 1994. "Estimating Elasticities with the Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System: Some Monte Carlo Results," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 351-356, May.
- James, John A., 1978. "The welfare effects of the antebellum tariff: A general equilibrium analysis," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 231-256, July.
- Wright, Gavin, 1971. "An Econometric Study of Cotton Production and Trade, 1830-1860," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(2), pages 111-120, May.
- Lloyd A. Metzler, 1949. "Tariffs, the Terms of Trade, and the Distribution of National Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57, pages 1-1.
- Thomas I. Wahl & Dermot J. Hayes, 1990.
"Demand System Estimation with Upward-Sloping Supply,"
Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie,
Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 38(1), pages 107-122, March.
- Wahl, Thomas I. & Hayes, Dermot J., 1990. "Demand System Estimation with Upward-Sloping Supply," Staff General Research Papers Archive 292, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Duffy, Patricia A. & Shalishali, Kasazi & Kinnucan, Henry W., 1994.
"Acreage Response Under Farm Programs For Major Southeastern Field Crops,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 1-12, December.
- Duffy, Patricia A. & Shalishali, Kasazi & Kinnucan, Henry W., 1994. "Acreage Response Under Farm Programs for Major Southeastern Field Crops," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(2), pages 367-378, December.
- Wright, Gavin, 1974. "Cotton Competition and the Post-Bellum Recovery of the American South," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 610-635, September.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-326, June.
- Huertas, Thomas F., 1979. "Damnifying Growth in the Antebellum South," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(1), pages 87-100, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marc Weidenmier, 2004. "Gunboats, Reputation, and Sovereign Repayment: Lessons from the Southern Confederacy," NBER Working Papers 10960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Waschik, Robert & Fraser, Iain, 2007.
"A computable general equilibrium analysis of export taxes in the Australian wool industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 712-736, July.
- Fraser, Iain & Waschik, Robert, 2006. "A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis of Export Taxes in the Australian Wool Industry," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 139733, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Allen, Robert C., 2014.
"American Exceptionalism as a Problem in Global History,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 74(2), pages 309-350, June.
- Robert Allen, 2013. "American Exceptionalism as a Problem in Global History," Economics Series Working Papers 689, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Weidenmier, Marc D., 2005. "Gunboats, reputation, and sovereign repayment: lessons from the Southern Confederacy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 407-422, July.
- Burger, Kees, 2008. "Optimal export taxes – the case of cocoa in Cote d'Ivoire," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6395, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Giovanni Federico & Antonio Tena‐Junguito, 2017.
"Lewis revisited: tropical polities competing on the world market, 1830–1938,"
Economic History Review,
Economic History Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1244-1267, November.
- Federico, Giovanni & Tena Junguito, Antonio, 2016. "Lewis revisited : tropical polities competing on the world market 1830-1938," IFCS - Working Papers in Economic History.WH 23305, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Instituto Figuerola.
- Steinwender, Claudia, 2013.
"Information Frictions and the Law of One Price: “When the States and the Kingdom became United”,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb)
- Steinwender, Claudia, 2014. "Information frictions and the law of one price: "When the States and the Kingdom became United"," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2014-12, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Claudia Steinwender, 2014. "Information Frictions and the Law of One Price: “When the States and the Kingdom became United”," Working Papers 190, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- repec:eee:inecon:v:111:y:2018:i:c:p:134-142 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:aea:aecrev:v:108:y:2018:i:3:p:657-96 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marcelo de Paiva Abreu & Felipe Tamega Fernandes, 2005. "Market Power and Commodity Prices: Brazil, Chile and the United States, 1820s-1930," Textos para discussão 511, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Marc D. Weidenmier & Kim Oosterlinck, 2007. "Victory or Repudiation? The Probability of the Southern Confederacy Winning the Civil War," NBER Working Papers 13567, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chilosi, David & Federico, Giovanni, 2019. "The effects of market integration during the first globalization: a multi-market approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 13818, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Toshinobu Matsuda, 2007. "Linearizing the inverse quadratic almost ideal demand system," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(3), pages 381-396.
- León, Sonia M. & Roitman, Mauricio E. & Romero, Carlos A., 2009.
"Evaluación de los efectos de la remoción de medidas para-arancelarias sobre las exportaciones argentinas de productos textiles
[Assessing the efects of eliminating non-tariff barriers over the Arge," MPRA Paper 17898, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joseph Davis & Vanguard Group; Christopher Hanes, 2004. "Primary Sector Shocks and Early American Industrialization," 2004 Meeting Papers 154, Society for Economic Dynamics.
More about this item
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- N3 - Economic History - - Labor and Consumers, Demography, Education, Health, Welfare, Income, Wealth, Religion, and Philanthropy
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:inecon:v:60:y:2003:i:2:p:275-291. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505552 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.