Fragility In Dairy Product Demand Analysis
Several reasons justify the expectation of increasingly price elastic demand for dairy products. Using weekly scanner data, we find support for this hypotheses, but with wide variation in elasticity estimates across model specifications. The results demonstrate the need for more routine specification testing before basing recommendations on potentially fragile inferences.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maynard, Leigh J., 2000. "Empirical Tests Of The Argument That Consumers Value Stable Retail Milk Prices," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 18(2).
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1995.
"Units of Measurement and the 'Stone Index' In Demand System Estimation,"
Staff General Research Papers
5058, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Giancarlo Moschini, 1995. "Units of Measurement and the Stone Index in Demand System Estimation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(1), pages 63-68.
- Alston, Julian M. & Chalfant, James A., 1991. "Can We Take The Con Out Of Meat Demand Studies?," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
- Alston, Julian M & Foster, Kenneth A & Green, Richard D, 1994. "Estimating Elasticities with the Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System: Some Monte Carlo Results," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 351-56, May.
- Brown, Mark G. & Lee, Jonq-Ying & Seale, James L., Jr., 1994.
"Demand Relationships Among Juice Beverages: A Differential Demand System Approach,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- Brown, Mark G. & Lee, Jonq-Ying & Seale, James L., 1994. "Demand Relationships Among Juice Beverages: A Differential Demand System Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 417-429, December.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- McGuirk, Anya M. & Driscoll, Paul J. & Alwang, Jeffrey Roger & Huang, Huilin, 1995. "System Misspecification Testing And Structural Change In The Demand For Meats," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Green, Geoffrey M. & Park, John L., 1998. "Retail Demand For Whole Vs. Low-Fat Milk: New Perspectives On Loss Leader Pricing," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20827, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea99:21679. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.