Criteria of effectiveness in multiple cross-sectoral interorganizational relationships
As the popularity of interorganizational relationships (IORs) grows, the challenge of evaluating the effectiveness of achieving desired outcomes has emerged as a concern for both practitioners and academics [Atkinson, M., & Maxwell, V. (2007). Driving performance in a multi-agency partnership using outcome measures: A case study. Measuring Business Excellence, 11(2), 12-22; Callahan, K., & Kloby, K. (2007). Collaboration meets the performance measurement challenge. The Public Manager, 36(2), 9-24; Coulson, A. (2005). A plague on all your partnerships: Theory and practice in regeneration. International Journal of Public Sector Management 18(2), 151-163.]. The purpose of this paper is to empirically compare the effectiveness criteria used by a nonprofit Canadian sport organization and its partners embedded in multiple cross-sectoral relationships. To that end, three levels of effectiveness criteria were investigated: the community, network, and organization levels. A qualitative case study was conducted on the nonprofit sport organization and its multiple cross-sectoral partners. The results suggest that some criteria for measuring IOR effectiveness among partners were highly interrelated, some reflected competing values, some were shared across all partners, and some were ambiguous in the measures of effectiveness of IOR outcomes. Implications for future research and for practice are discussed.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Quinn & John Rohrbaugh, 1983. "A Spatial Model of Effectiveness Criteria: Towards a Competing Values Approach to Organizational Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(3), pages 363-377, March.
- Colin Eden, 2001. "The Negotiation of Purpose in Multi-Organizational Collaborative Groups," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 373-391, 05.
- Brinkerhoff, Jennifer M., 2002. "Assessing and improving partnership relationships and outcomes: a proposed framework," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 215-231, August.
- Maxwell, Karl & Husain, Tasneem, 2005. "Public private partnerships: building capacity while effecting change," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 349-353, August.
- Yin, Robert K. & Kaftarian, Shakeh J., 1997. "Introduction: Challenges of community-based program outcome evaluations," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 293-297, August.
- Africa Ari�o, 2003. "Measures of strategic alliance performance: an analysis of construct validity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(1), pages 66-79, January.
- Kim S. Cameron, 1986. "Effectiveness as Paradox: Consensus and Conflict in Conceptions of Organizational Effectiveness," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(5), pages 539-553, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:epplan:v:32:y:2009:i:1:p:1-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.