Accounting for slacks to measure and decompose revenue efficiency in the Spanish Designation of Origin wines with DEA
In this paper, we show how Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) may be used to measure and decompose revenue inefficiency, taking into account all sources of technical waste in the context of an application to assess the Spanish quality wine sector, in particular Designation of Origin (DO) wines. We try to go beyond the standard approaches, which use Shephard distance functions or directional distance functions, to provide decomposition that incorporates slacks as a source of technical inefficiency. To accomplish this, we will base our analysis on a recent approach introduced in Cooper et al. (2011a). In particular, we show how an output-oriented version of the Weighted Additive model can be used to properly identify revenue, technical, and allocative inefficiencies in Spanish DOs. In the application, we conclude that the main source of revenue inefficiency in this sector is technical waste, and that Cava can be highlighted as the DO that performs as a benchmark for more numbers of units.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 231 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ornella Maietta & Vania Sena, 2008. "Is competition really bad news for cooperatives? Some empirical evidence for Italian producers’ cooperatives," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 221-233, June.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Santos, J.C. Gomes, 2007. "Comparing the Productive Efficiency of Cooperatives and Private Enterprises: The Portuguese Wine Industry as a Case Study," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research, vol. 35(2).
- Manevska-Tasevska, Gordana & Hansson, Helena, 2010. "Influence of rural development policy targets on farm efficiency: An efficiency study of labour intensive grape growing family farms," IAMO Forum 2010: Institutions in Transition – Challenges for New Modes of Governance 52696, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Knox Lovell, C. A. & Pastor, Jesus T. & Turner, Judi A., 1995. "Measuring macroeconomic performance in the OECD: A comparison of European and non-European countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 507-518, December.
- Stefan Bojnec & Laure Latruffe, 2009. "Determinants of technical efficiency of Slovenian farms," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 117-124.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- William Cooper & Jesús Pastor & Fernando Borras & Juan Aparicio & Diego Pastor, 2011. "BAM: a bounded adjusted measure of efficiency for use with bounded additive models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 85-94, April.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Kortelainen, Mika & Sipiläinen, Timo & Cherchye, Laurens, 2010. "Firm and industry level profit efficiency analysis using absolute and uniform shadow prices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(2), pages 584-594, April.
- Robert Chambers & Thomas Mitchell, 2001. "Homotheticity and Non-Radial Changes," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 31-39, January.
- Pastor, J. T. & Ruiz, J. L. & Sirvent, I., 1999. "An enhanced DEA Russell graph efficiency measure," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 596-607, June.
- Angel Prieto & José ZofIo, 2001. "Evaluating Effectiveness in Public Provision of Infrastructure and Equipment: The Case of Spanish Municipalities," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 41-58, January.
- Townsend, R.F. & Kirsten, Johann F. & Vink, Nick, 1998.
"Farm size, productivity and returns to scale in agriculture revisited: a case study of wine producers in South Africa,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 19(1-2), September.
- Townsend, R. F. & Kirsten, J. & Vink, N., 1998. "Farm size, productivity and returns to scale in agriculture revisited: a case study of wine producers in South Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 175-180, September.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Fare, Rolf & Obel, Borge, 2006. "Allocative efficiency of technically inefficient production units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(2), pages 450-462, January.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Fare, Rolf, 1999. "Allocative Efficiency of Technically Inefficient Production Units," Unit of Economics Working papers 24217, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Cooper, W.W. & Pastor, Jesus T. & Aparicio, Juan & Borras, Fernando, 2011. "Decomposing profit inefficiency in DEA through the weighted additive model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(2), pages 411-416, July.
- Cook, Wade D. & Hababou, Moez, 2001. "Sales performance measurement in bank branches," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 299-307, August.
- Arandia Miura, Amaia & Aldanondo-Ochoa, Ana, 2007. "Eficiencia tecnica y medioambiental de las explotaciones vinicolas ecologicas versus convencionales," Revista EspaÃ±ola de Estudios Agrosociales y Pesqueros, Ministerio de Medio Ambiente, Rural y Marino (formerly Ministry of Agriculture), issue 215-216.
- Gonzalez, Eduardo & Alvarez, Antonio, 2001. "From efficiency measurement to efficiency improvement: The choice of a relevant benchmark," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 133(3), pages 512-520, September.
- Carvalho, Maria Leonor da Silva & Henriques, Pedro Damiao de Sousa & Costa, Fatima & Pereira, Rui, 2008. "Characterisation And Technical Efficiency Of Portuguese Wine Farms," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44130, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Angelo Zago, 2007. "A Nonparametric Analysis of Production Models with Multidimensional Quality," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(3), pages 751-764.
- E. Grifell-Tatjé & C. Lovell & J. Pastor, 1998. "A Quasi-Malmquist Productivity Index," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 7-20, July.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:231:y:2013:i:2:p:443-451. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.