Two-dimensional efficiency decomposition to measure the demand effect in productivity analysis
This paper proposes a two-dimensional efficiency decomposition (2DED) of profitability for a production system to account for the demand effect observed in productivity analysis. The first dimension identifies four components of efficiency: capacity design, demand generation, operations, and demand consumption, using Network Data Envelopment Analysis (Network DEA). The second dimension decomposes the efficiency measures and integrates them into a profitability efficiency framework. Thus, each component’s profitability change can be analyzed based on technical efficiency change, scale efficiency change and allocative efficiency change. An empirical study based on data from 2006 to 2008 for the US airline industry finds that the regress of productivity is mainly caused by a demand fluctuation in 2007–2008 rather than technical regression in production capabilities.
Volume (Year): 216 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- José Zofío & Angel Prieto, 2006.
"Return to Dollar, Generalized Distance Function and the Fisher Productivity Index,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 113-138, June.
- Zofío, José Luis & Prieto, Angel, 2005. "Return to Dollar, Generalized Distance Function and the Fisher Productivity Index," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2005/01, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Kao, Chiang, 2009. "Efficiency decomposition in network data envelopment analysis: A relational model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(3), pages 949-962, February.
- Good, David H & Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Sickles, Robin C, 1993. "U.S. Airline Deregulation: Implications for European Transport," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(419), pages 1028-1041, July.
- David Good & M. Nadiri & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Robin Sickles, 1993. "Efficiency and productivity growth comparisons of European and U.S. Air carriers: A first look at the data," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 115-125, June.
- Good, D.H. & Nadiri, M.I. & Roller, L.H. & Sickles, R., 1992. "Efficiency and Productivity Growth Comparisons of European and U.S. Air Carriers : A First Look at the Data," Working Papers 92-22, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Appelbaum, Elie & Berechman, Joseph, 1991. "Demand conditions, regulation, and the measurement of productivity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 379-400, February.
- Subhash C. Ray, 1991. "Resource-Use Efficiency in Public Schools: A Study of Connecticut Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(12), pages 1620-1628, December.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Ray, Subhash C., 1988. "Data envelopment analysis, nondiscretionary inputs and efficiency: an alternative interpretation," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 167-176.
- Yu, Ming-Miin & Lin, Erwin T.J., 2008. "Efficiency and effectiveness in railway performance using a multi-activity network DEA model," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1005-1017, December.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq & Schankerman, M A, 1981. "Technical Change, Returns to Scale, and the Productivity Slowdown," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 314-319, May.
- Ray, Subhash C & Mukherjee, Kankana, 1996. "Decomposition of the Fisher Ideal Index of Productivity: A Non-parametric Dual Analysis of US Airlines Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(439), pages 1659-1678, November.
- Timo Kuosmanen & Timo Sipiläinen, 2009. "Exact decomposition of the Fisher ideal total factor productivity index," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 137-150, June.
- Ertay, Tijen & Ruan, Da, 2005. "Data envelopment analysis based decision model for optimal operator allocation in CMS," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(3), pages 800-810, August.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 2000. "Network DEA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 35-49, March.
- Andrew Johnson & Timo Kuosmanen, 2011. "One-stage estimation of the effects of operational conditions and practices on productive performance: asymptotically normal and efficient, root-n consistent StoNEZD method," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 219-230, October.
- Sickles, Robin C., 1985. "A nonlinear multivariate error components analysis of technology and specific factor productivity growth with an application to the U.S. Airlines," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 61-78, January.
- Good, David H. & Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Sickles, Robin C., 1995. "Airline efficiency differences between Europe and the US: Implications for the pace of EC integration and domestic regulation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 508-518, February.
- Alam, Ila M Semenick & Sickles, Robin C, 2000. "Time Series Analysis of Deregulatory Dynamics and Technical Efficiency: The Case of the U.S. Airline Industry," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(1), pages 203-218, February.
- Diewert, W E, 1992. "The Measurement of Productivity," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 163-198, July.
- Robin Sickles & David Good & Lullit Getachew, 2002. "Specification of Distance Functions Using Semi- and Nonparametric Methods with an Application to the Dynamic Performance of Eastern and Western European Air Carriers," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 133-155, January.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Sickles, Robin C. & Good, David & Johnson, Richard L., 1986. "Allocative distortions and the regulatory transition of the U.S. airline industry," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 143-163.
- R. Färe & S. Grosskopf & R. C. Sickles, 2007. "Productivity? of US Airlines After Deregulation," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 41(1), pages 93-112, January.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Kokkelenberg, Edward C, 1989. "Measuring Plant Capacity, Utilization and Technical Change: A Nonparametric Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 655-666, August.
- Rajiv D. Banker, 1993. "Maximum Likelihood, Consistency and Data Envelopment Analysis: A Statistical Foundation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1265-1273, October.
- Chen, Wen-Chih & McGinnis, Leon F., 2007. "Reconciling ratio analysis and DEA as performance assessment tools," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 277-291, April.
- Diewert, W E, 1980. "Capital and the Theory of Productivity Measurement," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 260-267, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)