A new unit labour cost changes decomposition Four pillars of cost competitiveness recovery
This article presents a new decomposition of unit labour costs into compensation per worker and labour productivity, which, in turn, is decomposed into e ffciency gains, technical progress and capital deepening. Data for Western European countries and the US show that the evolution of labour productivity components counteracts the deterioration in countries' cost competitiveness caused by increases in nominal wages. The policy implication is that e fforts aimed at reducing nominal labour costs should be accompanied by policies fostering capital deepening. Further improvements in countries' cost competitiveness can be achieved by enhancing efficiency gains and technical progress, which has been mostly negative during the period under study.
|Date of creation:||14 May 2012|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00826324|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bontemps, Christophe & Nauges, CÃ©line & RÃ©quillart, Vincent & Simioni, Michel, 2012.
"Food Safety Regulation and Firm Productivity:Evidence from the French Food Industry,"
LERNA Working Papers
12.16.373, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Nauges, Céline & Réquillart, Vincent & Simioni, Michel, 2012. "Food Safety Regulation and Firm Productivity:Evidence from the French Food Industry," TSE Working Papers 12-275, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Requillart, Vincent & Nauges, Celine & Simioni, Michel & Bontemps, Christophe, 2012. "Food Safety Regulation and Firm Productivity: Evidence from the French Food Industry," Congress Papers 124378, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Bontemps, Christophe & Nauges, Céline & Réquillart, Vincent & Simioni, Michel, 2012. "Food Safety Regulation and Firm Productivity:Evidence from the French Food Industry," IDEI Working Papers 696, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Caballero, Ricardo J & Hammour, Mohamad L, 1994.
"The Cleansing Effect of Recessions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1350-1368, December.
- Subodh Kumar & R. Robert Russell, 2002. "Technological Change, Technological Catch-up, and Capital Deepening: Relative Contributions to Growth and Convergence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Carol Corrado & Charles Hulten & Daniel Sichel, 2009. "Intangible Capital And U.S. Economic Growth," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(3), pages 661-685, 09.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Mohamad L. Hammour, 1996.
"On the Timing and Efficiency of Creative Destruction,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 111(3), pages 805-852.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Mohamad L. Hammour, 1994. "On the Timing and Efficiency of Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 4768, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, Chia-Yen & Johnson, Andrew L., 2012. "Two-dimensional efficiency decomposition to measure the demand effect in productivity analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(3), pages 584-593.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2007. "Adjustment within the euro. The difficult case of Portugal," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer;Instituto Superior de Economia e Gestao, vol. 6(1), pages 1-21, April.
- Chad Syverson, 2010.
"What Determines Productivity?,"
NBER Working Papers
15712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ark, Bart van & Stuivenwold, Edwin & Ypma, Gerard, 2005. "Unit labour costs, productivity and international competitiveness," GGDC Research Memorandum 200580, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Katsimi, Margarita & Moutos, Thomas, 2010. "EMU and the Greek crisis: The political-economy perspective," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 568-576, December.
- David Soskice & Torben Iversen, 2001. "Multiple Wage Bargaining Systems in the Single European Currency Area," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 435-456, December.
- Sena, Vania, 2006. "The determinants of firms' performance: Can finance constraints improve technical efficiency?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 172(1), pages 311-325, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00826324. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.