Using copulas to model repeat purchase behaviour - An exploratory analysis via a case study
We develop a model of the evolution of inter-purchase times for a consumer-packaged product. After the introduction of the product, a consumer waits to make the initial purchase, then either waits to repurchase or decides not to. A repurchasing consumer repeats this decision process. The components of the model are the repurchase probability and the density function of the time to repurchase at each stage of the purchasing cycle. Issues of interest are: the strength of the dependency between successive repurchase times; the number of repeat purchases before stability occurs; the effects of consumer characteristics on inter-purchase times. The model of individual purchasing behaviour can be transformed via simulation to produce sales time series for a given population. As an example, the model is estimated for a product using Australian panel data. The accuracy of the model's prediction is compared with an existing model.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc Vanhuele & Marnik Dekimpe & Sharma Sunil & Donald Morrison, 1995. "Probability Models for Duration: The Data Don′t Tell the Whole Story," Post-Print hal-00457580, HAL.
- Heckman, James & Singer, Burton, 1984. "A Method for Minimizing the Impact of Distributional Assumptions in Econometric Models for Duration Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 271-320, March.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-782, July.
- Bruce D. Meyer, 1988. "Unemployment Insurance And Unemployment Spells," NBER Working Papers 2546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dipak C. Jain & Naufel J. Vilcassim, 1991. "Investigating Household Purchase Timing Decisions: A Conditional Hazard Function Approach," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(1), pages 1-23.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 1998. "Inertia and Variety Seeking in a Model of Brand-Purchase Timing," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(3), pages 253-270.
- David A. Aaker, 1971. "The New-Trier Stochastic Model of Brand Choice," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(8), pages 435-450, April.
- Demetrios Vakratsas & Frank M. Bass, 2002. "A segment-level hazard approach to studying household purchase timing decisions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(1), pages 49-59.
- Seetharaman, P B & Chintagunta, Pradeep K, 2003. "The Proportional Hazard Model for Purchase Timing: A Comparison of Alternative Specifications," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(3), pages 368-382, July.
- Peter S. Fader & Bruce G. S. Hardie & Ka Lok Lee, 2005. "“Counting Your Customers” the Easy Way: An Alternative to the Pareto/NBD Model," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(2), pages 275-284, August.
- Han, Aaron & Hausman, Jerry A, 1990. "Flexible Parametric Estimation of Duration and Competing Risk Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 1-28, January-M.
- Kristiaan Helsen & David C. Schmittlein, 1993. "Analyzing Duration Times in Marketing: Evidence for the Effectiveness of Hazard Rate Models," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(4), pages 395-414.
- Peter S. Fader & Bruce G. S. Hardie & Chun-Yao Huang, 2004. "A Dynamic Changepoint Model for New Product Sales Forecasting," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(1), pages 50-65, October.
- Rita D. Wheat & Donald G. Morrison, 1990. "Assessing Purchase Timing Models: Whether or Not is Preferable to When," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(2), pages 162-170.
- van den Berg, Gerard J., 1997. "Association measures for durations in bivariate hazard rate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 221-245, August.
- Sunil Gupta & Donald G. Morrison, 1991. "Estimating Heterogeneity in Consumers' Purchase Rates," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 264-269.
- Woojune Yi & Vicki M. Bier, 1998. "An Application of Copulas to Accident Precursor Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages 257-270, December.
- Wu, Couchen & Chen, Hsiu-Li, 2000. "Counting your customers: Compounding customer's in-store decisions, interpurchase time and repurchasing behavior," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 109-119, November.
- Lewis G. Pringle & R. Dale Wilson & Edward I. Brody, 1982. "News: A Decision-Oriented Model for New Product Analysis and Forecasting," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 1(1), pages 1-29.
- Morrison, Donald G & Schmittlein, David C, 1988. "Generalizing the NBD Model for Customer Purchases: What Are the Implications and Is It Worth the Effort?," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(2), pages 145-159, April.
- Robert T. Clemen & Terence Reilly, 1999. "Correlations and Copulas for Decision and Risk Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(2), pages 208-224, February.
- Morrison, Donald G & Schmittlein, David C, 1988. "Generalizing the NBD Model for Customer Purchases: What Are the Implications and Is It Worth the Effort? Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(2), pages 165-166, April.
- David C. Schmittlein & Donald G. Morrison & Richard Colombo, 1987. "Counting Your Customers: Who-Are They and What Will They Do Next?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Barbara E. Kahn & Donald G. Morrison & Gordon P. Wright, 1986. "Technical Note—Aggregating Individual Purchases to the Household Level," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(3), pages 260-268.
- Wagner A. Kamakura & Bruce S. Kossar & Michel Wedel, 2004. "Identifying Innovators for the Cross-Selling of New Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(8), pages 1120-1133, August.
- Vanhuele, Marc & Dekimpe, Marnik G. & Sharma, Sunil & Morrison, Donald G., 1995. "Probability Models for Duration: The Data Don't Tell the Whole Story," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 1-13, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:200:y:2010:i:3:p:908-917. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.