Evaluating environmental regulation in Spain using process control and preventive techniques
Because environmental regulations may be adjusted over time to reflect updated understanding or new circumstances, there may be scope for strategic behaviour too. Regulations affect not only current emission levels, but also the effect on investment in R&D or new plant and equipment and, consequently, on competitive priorities. Although most of the literature devoted to the environmental regulation highlights the effects that legislation has on the adoption of decisions related to the environment as a competitive opportunity, there is actually no strong empirical evidence which supports that argument. This is why the present paper has as its aim to identify (1) how the regulation concerning the natural environment differs across sectors and (2) how it can influence managerial perceptions of the role to be played by the natural environment as a competitive opportunity. The research work has been carried out in two phases. The first phase involved comparative case studies of eight Spanish firms; during the second, the propositions emerging from the first phase were tested through a structural equation model of 239 hotels and 208 firms affected by the IPPC law in Spain. This paper has made a contribution to the existing research literature through the examination of the similarities and differences concerning managerial decision-making in the field of natural environment regulations. Moreover, a contact point between the Porter hypothesis and its criticism is offered. In relation to practical implications, updated information about the European, National and Community environmental legislation is presented that affects firms from eight sectors. In this context, legal environmental requirements are identified so as to make easier the adoption of managerial decisions which guarantee compliance with the law and avoidance of fines.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eva Carmona-Moreno & José Céspedes-Lorente & Jerónimo De Burgos-Jiménez, 2004. "Environmental strategies in spanish hotels: contextual factors and performance," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(3), pages 101-130, May.
- Isik, Murat, 2005. "Environmental regulation and the optimal location of the risk-averse firm under uncertainty," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(04), pages 435-452, August.
- del Brio, Jesus Angel & Fernandez, Esteban & Junquera, Beatriz, 2002. "The role of the public administrations in the promotion of the environmental activity in Spanish industrial companies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 279-294, February.
- Bennett, Derek P. & Yano, Candace A., 2004. "A decomposition approach for an equipment selection and multiple product routing problem incorporating environmental factors," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(3), pages 643-664, August.
- Adam B. Jaffe et al., 1995. "Environmental Regulation and the Competitiveness of U.S. Manufacturing: What Does the Evidence Tell Us?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 132-163, March.
- Anton, W.R.Q.Wilma Rose Q. & Deltas, George & Khanna, Madhu, 2004.
"Incentives for environmental self-regulation and implications for environmental performance,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 632-654, July.
- Anton, Wilma Rose Q. & Deltas, George & Khanna, Madhu, 2002. "Incentives for Environmental Self-Regulation and Implications for Environmental Performance," Working Papers 02-0120, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Prajogo, Daniel I. & Sohal, Amrik S., 2006. "The relationship between organization strategy, total quality management (TQM), and organization performance--the mediating role of TQM," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 35-50, January.
- Roediger-Schluge,Thomas, 2001. "The Stringency of Environmental Regulation and the 'Porter Hypothesis'," Research Memorandum 002, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Letmathe, Peter & Balakrishnan, Nagraj, 2005. "Environmental considerations on the optimal product mix," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 398-412, December.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Karen Palmer, 1997. "Environmental Regulation And Innovation: A Panel Data Study," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 610-619, November.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Karen Palmer, 1996. "Environmental Regulation and Innovation: A Panel Data Study," NBER Working Papers 5545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ambec, Stefan & Barla, Philippe, 2002. "A theoretical foundation of the Porter hypothesis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 355-360, May.
- Stefan Ambec & Philippe Barla, 2001. "A Theoretical Foundation of the Porter Hypothesis," CSEF Working Papers 54, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Slater, Jim & Angel, Isabel Tirado, 2000. "The Impact and Implications of Environmentally Linked Strategies on Competitive Advantage: A Study of Malaysian Companies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 75-89, January.
- Triantis, Konstantinos & Otis, Paul, 2004. "Dominance-based measurement of productive and environmental performance for manufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 447-464, April.
- Curkovic, Sime, 2003. "Environmentally Responsible Manufacturing: The development and validation of a measurement model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 130-155, April.
- Bjorner, Thomas Bue & Hansen, L.G.Lars Garn & Russell, Clifford S., 2004. "Environmental labeling and consumers' choice--an empirical analysis of the effect of the Nordic Swan," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 411-434, May.
- Thomas Bue Bjorner & Lars Garn Hansen & Clifford S. Russell, 2002. "Environmental Labelling and Consumer's Choice - An Empirical Analysis of the Effect of the Nordic Swan," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0203, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Shunsuke Managi & SJames J. Opaluch & Di Jin & Thomas A. Grigalunas, 2005. "Environmental Regulations and Technological Change in the Offshore Oil and Gas Industry," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 81(2).
- Banerjee, Subhabrata Bobby, 2002. "Corporate environmentalism: the construct and its measurement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 177-191, March.
- Sarkis, Joseph, 1998. "Evaluating environmentally conscious business practices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 159-174, May.
- Hamamoto, Mitsutsugu, 2006. "Environmental regulation and the productivity of Japanese manufacturing industries," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 299-312, November.
- Aragon-Correa, Juan Alberto & Matias-Reche, Fernando & Senise-Barrio, Maria Eugenia, 2004. "Managerial discretion and corporate commitment to the natural environment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(9), pages 964-975, September.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Cordeiro, James J., 2001. "An empirical evaluation of environmental efficiencies and firm performance: Pollution prevention versus end-of-pipe practice," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 102-113, November.
- Brunnermeier, Smita B. & Cohen, Mark A., 2003. "Determinants of environmental innovation in US manufacturing industries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 278-293, March.
- Tarui, Nori & Polasky, Stephen, 2005. "Environmental regulation with technology adoption, learning and strategic behavior," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 447-467, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)