Economic appraisal of profitability and sustainability of peri-urban agriculture in Bangkok
Promoters of urban and peri-urban agriculture generally stress its positive role in terms of food security, income, employment and improvement of the urban environment. Unfortunately, competition with agricultural and non-agricultural uses of peri-urban farm land often translates into intensive farming systems that are detrimental to the environment. Based on two original surveys of peri-urban farms in the area of Bangok, this paper ranks four cropping systems (fish, shrimp, rice, and fruits) according to their economic profitability. A second step of the analysis aims at taking into account the cost of water into the analysis, so as to assess whether the hierarchy formerly established is modified. Although all environmental costs are not introduced and environmental benefits are ignored, this work paves the way for further research in the area of taking into account the environmental impact of farming activities. ...French Abstract : Les tenants de l'agriculture urbaine et péri-urbaine invoquent généralement son rôle positif en termes de sécurité alimentaire, de génération d'emplois et de revenus et d'amélioration de l'environnement urbain. Toutefois, la concurrence entre usages agricoles et non agricoles de la terre en zone péri-urbaine est malheureusement souvent à l'origine de systèmes agricoles intensifs préjudiciables à l'environnement. A partir de deux enquêtes effectuées dans des exploitations de la zone péri-urbaine de Bangkok, cet article tente de classer quatre systèmes productifs (aquaculture, pisciculture, riziculture et arboriculture fruitière) en fonction de leur rentabilité économique. Dans une seconde partie, nous cherchons à évaluer dans quelle mesure l'introduction du coût de l'eau (l'eau propre étant paradoxalement une ressource rare à Bangkok) dans l'analyse économique de la rentabilité des activités modifie la hiérarchie précédemment établie. Bien qu'imparfait (tous les coûts environnementaux ne sont pas inclus et d'éventuels bénéfices environn
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshi, P.K. & Gulati, Ashok & Birthal, Pratap S. & Tewari, Laxmi, 2003. "Agriculture diversification in South Asia," MSSD discussion papers 57, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Flaherty, Mark & Vandergeest, Peter & Miller, Paul, 1999. "Rice Paddy or Shrimp Pond: Tough Decisions in Rural Thailand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2045-2060, December.
- Elinor Ostrom & Roy Gardner, 1993. "Coping with Asymmetries in the Commons: Self-Governing Irrigation Systems Can Work," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(4), pages 93-112, Fall.
- Poudel, D. D. & Midmore, D. J. & Hargrove, W. L., 1998. "An analysis of commercial vegetable farms in relation to sustainability in the uplands of Southeast Asia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 107-128, September.
- Ruel, Marie T. & Haddad, Lawrence & Garrett, James L., 1999. "Some Urban Facts of Life: Implications for Research and Policy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 1917-1938, November.
- Midmore, D. J. & Jansen, H. G. P., 2003. "Supplying vegetables to Asian cities: is there a case for peri-urban production?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 13-27, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolec:v:61:y:2007:i:2-3:p:516-529. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.