On the usefulness of cross-validation for directional forecast evaluation
The usefulness of a predictor evaluation framework which combines a blocked cross-validation scheme with directional accuracy measures is investigated. The advantage of using a blocked cross-validation scheme with respect to the standard out-of-sample procedure is that cross-validation yields more precise error estimates of the prediction error since it makes full use of the data. In order to quantify the gain in precision when directional accuracy measures are considered, a Monte Carlo analysis using univariate and multivariate models is provided. The experiments indicate that more precise estimates are obtained with the blocked cross-validation procedure. An application is carried out on forecasting UK interest rate for illustration purposes. The results show that in such a situation with small samples the cross-validation scheme may have considerable advantages over the standard out-of-sample evaluation procedure as it may help to overcome problems induced by the limited information the directional accuracy measures contain due to their binary nature.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emma Garcia & Simón Sosvilla-rivero, 2005. "Forecasting the dollar|euro exchange rate: are international parities useful?," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(5), pages 369-377.
- Milas, Costas & Naraidoo, Ruthira, 2012. "Financial conditions and nonlinearities in the European Central Bank (ECB) reaction function: In-sample and out-of-sample assessment," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 173-189, January.
- Thanaset Chevapatrakul & Tae-Hwan Kim & Paul Mizen, 2007.
"Forecasting Changes in UK Interest Rates,"
Discussion Paper Series
2007_26, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Nov 2007.
- Tae-Hwan Kim & Paul Mizen & Alan Thanaset, . "Forecasting Changes in UK Interest Rates," Discussion Papers 07/04, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Tae-Hwan Kim & Paul Mizen & Alan Thanaset, 2006. "Forecasting changes in UK interest rates," Discussion Papers 06/06, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Georgi N. Boshnakov & Bisher M. Iqelan, 2009. "Generation Of Time Series Models With Given Spectral Properties," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 349-368, 05.
- Oliver Blaskowitz & Helmut Herwatz, 2008.
"Adaptive Forecasting of the EURIBOR Swap Term Structure,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2008-017, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Oliver Blaskowitz & Helmut Herwartz, 2009. "Adaptive forecasting of the EURIBOR swap term structure," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(7), pages 575-594.
- Jaehun Chung & Yongmiao Hong, 2007. "Model-free evaluation of directional predictability in foreign exchange markets," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(5), pages 855-889.
- Nazaria Solferino & Robert Waldmann, 2010.
"Predicting the signs of forecast errors,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(5), pages 476-485.
- Costantini, Mauro & Pappalardo, Carmine, 2010. "A hierarchical procedure for the combination of forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 725-743, October.
- Rob J. Hyndman & Anne B. Koehler, 2005.
"Another Look at Measures of Forecast Accuracy,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
13/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Barnett, Alina & Mumtaz, Haroon & Theodoridis, Konstantinos, 2014.
"Forecasting UK GDP growth and inflation under structural change. A comparison of models with time-varying parameters,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 129-143.
- Barnett, Alina & Mumtaz, Haroon & Theodoridis, Konstantinos, 2012. "Forecasting UK GDP growth, inflation and interest rates under structural change: a comparison of models with time-varying parameters," Bank of England working papers 450, Bank of England.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-36, July.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Blaskowitz, Oliver & Herwartz, Helmut, 2011.
"On economic evaluation of directional forecasts,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 1058-1065, October.
- Costantini, Mauro & Kunst, Robert M., 2009.
"Combining Forecasts Based on Multiple Encompassing Tests in a Macroeconomic Core System,"
243, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Mauro Costantini & Robert M. Kunst, 2011. "Combining forecasts based on multiple encompassing tests in a macroeconomic core system," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(6), pages 579-596, September.
- Oliver Blaskowitz & Helmut Herwartz, 2008. "Testing directional forecast value in the presence of serial correlation," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2008-073, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Carlo Altavilla & Paul De Grauwe, 2006.
"Forecasting and Combining Competing Models of Exchange rate Determination,"
5_2006, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Carlo Altavilla & Paul De Grauwe, 2010. "Forecasting and combining competing models of exchange rate determination," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(27), pages 3455-3480.
- Carlo Altavilla & Paul De Grauwe, 2006. "Forecasting and Combining Competing Models of Exchange Rate Determination," CESifo Working Paper Series 1747, CESifo Group Munich.
- Khan, Jafar A. & Van Aelst, Stefan & Zamar, Ruben H., 2010. "Fast robust estimation of prediction error based on resampling," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(12), pages 3121-3130, December.
- Racine, Jeff, 2000. "Consistent cross-validatory model-selection for dependent data: hv-block cross-validation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 39-61, November.
- M. Ruth & K. Donaghy & P. Kirshen, 2006. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Regional Climate Change and Variability, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Borra, Simone & Di Ciaccio, Agostino, 2010. "Measuring the prediction error. A comparison of cross-validation, bootstrap and covariance penalty methods," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(12), pages 2976-2989, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:76:y:2014:i:c:p:132-143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.