Real interest parity: A note on Asian countries using panel stationarity tests
Existing panel data studies of real interest parity are either unable to identify which panel members are characterised by stationary real interest differentials, or are subject to size distortion resulting from the presence of structural breaks and cross-sectional dependencies. Using a panel stationarity testing procedure recently advocated by Hadri and Rao (2008) that allows for structural breaks and cross-sectional dependency, we are unable to reject the stationarity of Asian real interest rate differentials.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluis Carrion-I-Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2009. "Testing For Real Interest Rate Parity Using Panel Stationarity Tests With Dependence: A Note," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 77(1), pages 112-126, 01.
- Kaddour Hadri & Yao Rao, 2006.
"Panel Stationarity Test with Structural Breaks,"
200615, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Chinn, Menzie D & Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1995.
"Who drives real interest rates around the Pacific Rim: the USA or Japan?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 801-821, December.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1995. "Who drives real interest rates around the Pacific Rim: the US or Japan?," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 95-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Haw, Chan Tze & Fountas, Stilianos, 2005. "A panel study on real interest rate parity in East Asian countries: Pre- and post-liberalization era," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 69-85, August.
- Josep Carrion-i-Silvestre & Andreu Sansó, 2006. "A guide to the computation of stationarity tests," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 433-448, June.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003.
"A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007. "A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Jyh-Lin Wu & Show-Lin Chen, 1998. "A Re-examination of Real Interest Rate Parity," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(4), pages 837-851, November.
- Mussa, Michael, 1976. " The Exchange Rate, the Balance of Payments and Monetary and Fiscal Policy under a Regime of Controlled Floating," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 229-48.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Nor Aishah Hamzah, 2008. "Real interest rate parity in the ASEAN-5 countries: a nonlinear perspective," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(12), pages 955-958.
- Chang, Yoosoon, 2004.
"Bootstrap unit root tests in panels with cross-sectional dependency,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 263-293, June.
- Chang, Yoosoon, 2002. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests in Panels with Cross-Sectional Dependency," Working Papers 2000-01, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Yoosoon Chang, 2000. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests in Panels with Cross-Sectional Dependency," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1251, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Yoosoon Chang, 2000. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests in Panels with Cross-Sectional Dependency," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1585, Econometric Society.
- Donggyu Sul & Peter C. B. Phillips & Chi-Young Choi, 2005.
"Prewhitening Bias in HAC Estimation,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(4), pages 517-546, 08.
- Donggyu Sul & Peter C.B. Phillips & Choi, Chi-Young, 2003. "Prewhitening Bias in HAC Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1436, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Sul, Donggyu & Phillips, Peter & Choi, Chi-Young, 2003. "Prewhitening Bias in HAC Estimation," Working Papers 141, Department of Economics, The University of Auckland.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Chi-Young Choi & Donggyu Sul, 2004. "Prewhitening Bias in HAC Estimation," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm426, Yale School of Management.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Chan, Tze-Haw, 2007.
"The real interest rate differential: international evidence based on nonlinear unit root tests,"
7300, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Chan Tze Haw, 2009. "The Real Interest Rate Differential: International Evidence Based On Non-Linear Unit Root Tests," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 83-94, 01.
- Chan, Tze-Haw & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Lau, Evan, 2005. "Real Financial Integration among the East Asian Economies: A SURADF Panel Approach," MPRA Paper 2021, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2007.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Sephton, Peter S., 1995. "Response surface estimates of the KPSS stationarity test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 47(3-4), pages 255-261, March.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1979. "On the Mark: A Theory of Floating Exchange Rates Based on Real Interest Differentials," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 610-22, September.
- Hall, Alastair R, 1994. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series with Pretest Data-Based Model Selection," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(4), pages 461-70, October.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2010. "Does Real Interest Rate Parity Hold For Oecd Countries? New Evidence Using Panel Stationarity Tests With Cross-Section Dependence And Structural Breaks," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 57(5), pages 568-590, November.
- Nieh, Chien-Chung & Yau, Hwey-Yun, 2004. "Time series analysis for the interest rates relationships among China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan money markets," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 171-188, February.
- Dutta, M., 2000. "The euro revolution and the European Union: monetary and economic cooperation in the Asia-Pacific region," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 65-88.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:asieco:v:22:y:2011:i:6:p:550-557. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.