Real Financial Integration among the East Asian Economies: A SURADF Panel Approach
To testify RIP, this study scrutinizes the mean-reversion behavior of bilateral real interest differentials (RIDs) in eight East Asian economies. We incorporate the ASEAN-5, South Korea and China (mainland) with the US and Japan taken as base countries. Four sub-samples within 1976-2004 are being considered to accentuate the effects of institutional changes and financial crises. To rectify the deficiency in extant univariate and panel tests, the newly proposed SURADF statistics by Breuer et al. (2002) is utilized. Overall, the findings are in favor of RIP such that RIDs are found mean-reverting (except China) and with faster adjustment, especially during the post-crisis era. Such outcome is in accord with the enhanced financial integration among the ASEAN-5 and South Korea with their major trading partners, suggesting that further economic cooperation and currency arrangements in the region are bright to preserve potential financial shocks. Conversely, the real financial integration among China-US and China-Japan are not yet empirically recognized notwithstanding the recent surge of capital flows into the mainland.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mario Cerrato & Neil Kellard & Nicholas Sarantis, 2005. "The Purchasing Power Parity Persistence Paradigm: Evidence from Black Currency Markets," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 34, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Chan, Tze-Haw & Khong, Wye Leong Roy & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi, 2003. "Dynamic Financial Linkages of Japan and ASEAN Economies: An Application of Real Interest Parity," MPRA Paper 2209, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2003.
- Karlsson, Sune & Lothgren, Mickael, 2000.
"On the power and interpretation of panel unit root tests,"
Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 249-255, March.
- Karlsson, Sune & Löthgren, Mickael, 1999. "On the power and interpretation of panel unit root tests," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 299, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Karfakis, Costas J & Moschos, Demetrios M, 1990.
"Interest Rate Linkages within the European Monetary System: A Time Series Analysis,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(3), pages 389-394, August.
- Karfakis, C. J. & Moschos, D.M., 1990. "Interest Rate Linkages Within the European Monetary System: A Time Series Analysis," Working Papers 144, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2005. "Testing for PPP: Should we use panel methods?," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 77-91, January.
- Anindya Banerjee & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, "undated". "Testing for PPP: Should We Use Panel Methods?," Working Papers 186, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Massimiliano Marcellino & Chiara Osbat, 2002. "Testing for PPP: Should We Use Panel Methods?," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 13, Royal Economic Society.
- George S. Tavlas, 1993. "The ‘New’ Theory of Optimum Currency Areas," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(6), pages 663-685, November.
- Breuer, Janice Boucher & McNown, Robert & Wallace, Myles, 2002. " Series-Specific Unit Root Tests with Panel Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(5), pages 527-546, December.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Raj Aggarwal & Chan Tze Haw, 2007. "East Asian Real Exchange Rates and PPP: New Evidence from Panel-data Tests," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 103-119.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Aggarwal, Raj & Chan, Tze-Haw, 2005. "East Asian Real Exchange Rates and PPP: New Evidence from panel-data tests," MPRA Paper 2023, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2007.
- repec:mfa:journl:v:11:y:2003:i:1&2:p:23-40 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mark J. Holmes, 2005. "Integration or Independence? An Alternative Assessment of Real Interest Rate Linkages in the European Union," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 34(3), pages 407-427, November.
- Phylaktis, Kate, 1999. "Capital market integration in the Pacific Basin region: an impulse response analysis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 267-287, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:2021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.