Dynamic Financial Linkages of Japan and ASEAN Economies: An Application of Real Interest Parity
To examine the validity of real interest parity (RIP), this study provides empirical evidences concerning the dynamic linkages of real interest rates among ASEAN-5 and the mean reversion behaviors of real interest differentials of ASEAN-5.vis-à-vis Japan during the post liberalization era (1984-1997). The upshots of our findings are four-fold. First, there were co-movement of ASEAN real rates in the long run and dynamic causalities in the short run, which explicitly indicated a monetary inter-dependency among the ASEAN tigers. Second, most of the forecast error variance of real interest rates in own country can be attributed to other ASEAN-4’s innovations (more than 50%), which partly explain the contagion effects during Asia crisis 1997/98. Third, the real interest differentials are mean reverting over time, implying that RIP holds between Japan and ASEANs (except Singapore). Forth, the half-lives are reported at approximately 6 to 11 months, which reflect the considerably small deviations from RIP. All together, the findings constitute towards regional financial integration with the Japan’s leading role being confirmed. To great extent, this would support the recent proposal of Currency Union with Japanese Yen taken as common currency.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:||2003|
|Publication status:||Published in Capital Markets Review special issue.11 (1(2003): pp. 23-40|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kilian, L. & Zha, T., 1999.
"Quantifying the Half-Life of Deviations from PPP: The Role of Economic Priors,"
99-08, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Kilian, L. & Zha, T., 1999. "Quantifying the Half-Life of Deviations from PPP: The Role of Economic Priors," Working Papers 450, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Lutz Kilian & Tao Zha, 1999. "Quantifying the half-life of deviations from PPP: The role of economic priors," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 99-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Kilian, Lutz & Zha, Tao, 1999. "Quantifying the Half-Life of Deviations from PPP: The Role of Economic Priors," CEPR Discussion Papers 2334, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Merrick, John Jr. & Saunders, Anthony, 1986. "International expected real interest rates: New tests of the parity hypothesis and U.S. fiscal policy effects," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 313-322, November.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-25, July.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," NBER Working Papers 5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," CEPR Discussion Papers 1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Darren Pain & Ryland Thomas, 1997. "Real Interest Rate Linkages: Testing for Common Trends and Cycles," Bank of England working papers 65, Bank of England.
- Phylaktis, Kate, 1999. "Capital market integration in the Pacific Basin region: an impulse response analysis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 267-287, February.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Grennes, Thomas J., 1994. "Real interest rate equalization and the integration of international financial markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 107-124, February.
- Hassapis, Christis & Pittis, Nikitas & Prodromidis, Kyprianos, 1999. "Unit roots and Granger causality in the EMS interest rates: the German Dominance Hypothesis revisited," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-73, January.
- Kirchgassner, Gebhard & Wolters, Jurgen, 1993. "Does the DM Dominate the Euro Market? An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 773-78, November.
- Lemmen, J.J.G. & Eijffinger, S.C.W., 1993.
"The quantity approach to financial integration : The Feldstein-Horioka criterion revisited,"
1993-20, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jan Lemmen & Sylvester Eijffinger, 1995. "The quantity approach to financial integration: The Feldstein-Horioka criterion revisited," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 145-165, April.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W., 1995. "The quantity approach to financial integration : The Feldstein-Horioka criterion revisited," Other publications TiSEM c03b04b7-a993-4cc0-b9fc-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Lemmen, J.J.G. & Eijffinger, S., 1993. "The Quantity Approach of Financial Integration: The Feldstein-Horioka Criterion Revisited," Papers 9320, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- repec:fth:michin:450 is not listed on IDEAS
- Granger, Clive W J, 1986. "Developments in the Study of Cointegrated Economic Variables," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 213-28, August.
- Phylaktis, Kate, 1997.
"Capital market integration in the Pacific-Basin region: An analysis of real interest rate linkages,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 195-213, June.
- Kate Phylaktis, 1995. "Capital Market Integration in the Pacific Basin Region; An Analysis of Real Interest Rate Linkages," IMF Working Papers 95/133, International Monetary Fund.
- Menzie Chinn & Jeffery Frankel, 1995. "The relative influence of US and Japan on real interest rates around the Pacific Rim," International Finance 9508004, EconWPA.
- Holmes, Mark J., 2002. "Does long-run real interest parity hold among EU countries? Some new panel data evidence," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 733-746.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:2209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.