Are participators in the land retirement program likely to grow energy crops?
Due to the increasing demand for energy, interaction between land use and energy-related crop production has recently become a subject of great attention. Although a considerable body of literature has examined the extent to which the increased demand for biofuel may impact agricultural land use, little evidence has been provided as result of farmer level surveys. Using a unique and national representative survey of all eligible farmers in the land retirement program in Taiwan in 2005, this study examines the interaction between the land retirement program and energy crop production. Results points to a positive association between the enrolled land area and the likelihood of energy crop production. However, the magnitude of the effects is not substantial. This may reflect the fact that the current subsidy to farmers to grow energy crops on their fallow land is not high enough to provide strong incentive.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 88 (2011)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banse, Martin & van Meijl, Hans & Woltjer, Geert B., 2008. "Consequences of EU Biofuel Policies on Agricultural Production and Land Use," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 23(3).
- Silvia Secchi & Bruce A. Babcock, 2007. "Impact of High Crop Prices on Environmental Quality: A Case of Iowa and the Conservation Reserve Program," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 07-wp447, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Silalertruksa, Thapat & Gheewala, Shabbir H. & Sagisaka, Masayuki, 2009. "Impacts of Thai bio-ethanol policy target on land use and greenhouse gas emissions," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(Supplemen), pages S170-S177, November.
- Zhou, Adrian & Thomson, Elspeth, 2009. "The development of biofuels in Asia," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(Supplemen), pages S11-S20, November.
- Roman Keeney & Thomas W. Hertel, 2009. "The Indirect Land Use Impacts of United States Biofuel Policies: The Importance of Acreage, Yield, and Bilateral Trade Responses," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(4), pages 895-909.
- Oliver Balkhausen & Martin Banse & Harald Grethe, 2008. "Modelling CAP Decoupling in the EU: A Comparison of Selected Simulation Models and Results," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 57-71, 02.
- Fraser, Rob, 1994. "The Impact of Price Support on Set-Aside Responses to an Increase in Price Uncertainty," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 21(1), pages 131-36.
- Yamamoto, H. & Yamaji, K. & Fujino, J., 1999. "Evaluation of bioenergy resources with a global land use and energy model formulated with SD technique," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 101-113, June.
- Knowler, Duncan & Bradshaw, Ben, 2007. "Farmers' adoption of conservation agriculture: A review and synthesis of recent research," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 25-48, February.
- Gauder, Martin & Graeff-Hönninger, S. & Claupein, W., 2011. "The impact of a growing bioethanol industry on food production in Brazil," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 672-679, March.
- Evans, Sam, 1980. "Acreage Response To The Target Price And Set-Aside Provisions Of The Food And Agriculture Act Of 1977," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 4.
- Saga, Kiyotaka & Imou, Kenji & Yokoyama, Shinya & Minowa, Tomoaki, 2010. "Net energy analysis of bioethanol production system from high-yield rice plant in Japan," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(7), pages 2164-2168, July.
- R. Fraser, 1993. "Set-Aside Premiums And The May 1992 Cap Reforms," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 410-417.
- Walpole, Sandra & Sinden, Jack & Yapp, Tim, 1996. "Land Quality as an Input to Production: The Case of Land Degradation and Agricultural Output," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 185-207, September.
- Hung-Hao Chang & Richard N. Boisvert, 2009. "Distinguishing between Whole-Farm vs. Partial-Farm Participation in the Conservation Reserve Program," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 85(1), pages 144-161.
- Bourgeon, Jean-Marc & Jayet, Pierre-Alain & Picard, Pierre, 1995. "An incentive approach to land set-aside programs," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1487-1509, October.
- Smyth, Beatrice M. & Smyth, Henry & Murphy, Jerry D., 2011. "Determining the regional potential for a grass biomethane industry," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 2037-2049, June.
- Ephraim Nkonya & Ted Schroeder & David Norman, 1997. "Factors Affecting Adoption Of Improved Maize Seed And Fertiliser In Northern Tanzania," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 1-12.
- Viana, H. & Cohen, Warren B. & Lopes, D. & Aranha, J., 2010. "Assessment of forest biomass for use as energy. GIS-based analysis of geographical availability and locations of wood-fired power plants in Portugal," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(8), pages 2551-2560, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:88:y:2011:i:9:p:3183-3188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.