Measuring the costs of African animal trypanosomosis, the potential benefits of control and returns to research
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Upton, Martin, 1989. "Livestock productivity assessment and herd growth models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 149-164.
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Courbois, Claude & Rosegrant, Mark W., 1998. "Global food demand and the contribution of livestock as we enter the new millennium," MTID discussion papers 21, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jock R. Anderson & Philip G. Pardey & Johannes Roseboom, 1994.
"Sustaining growth in agriculture: a quantitative review of agricultural research investments,"
Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(2), pages 107-123, April.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Pardey, Philip G. & Roseboom, Johannes, 1994. "Sustaining growth in agriculture: A quantitative review of agricultural research investments," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 107-123, April.
- Kelley, T. G. & Ryan, J. G. & Patel, B. K., 1995. "Applied participatory priority setting in international agricultural research: Making trade-offs transparent and explicit," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 177-216.
- Emmanuel Tambi, N., 1996. "The dynamics of household beef consumption in Cameroon," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 11-19, April.
- Itty, P., 1996. "Profitability, efficiency and comparative advantage of African cattle meat and milk production: the case of trypanotolerant village cattle production," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 33-44, April.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Liebenehm, Sabine & Waibel, Hermann, 2012. "Simultaneous estimation of risk and time preferences among small-scale cattle farmers in West Africa," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-501, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Okeyo, Ally Mwai & Persley, Gabrielle J. & Kemp, Steve J., 2010. "Livestock and Biodiversity: The Case of Cattle in Africa," 2010: Biodiversity and World Food Security: Nourishing the Planet and Its People, 30 August-1 September 2010 125244, Crawford Fund.
- David Berthier & Moana Peylhard & Guiguigbaza-Kossigan Dayo & Laurence Flori & Souleymane Sylla & Seydou Bolly & Hassane Sakande & Isabelle Chantal & Sophie Thevenon, 2015. "A Comparison of Phenotypic Traits Related to Trypanotolerance in Five West African Cattle Breeds Highlights the Value of Shorthorn Taurine Breeds," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 10(5), pages 1-21, May.
- Machila, Noreen & Emongor, Rosemary & Shaw, Alexandra P. & Welburn, Susan C. & McDermott, John & Maudlin, Ian & Eisler, Mark C., 2007. "A community education intervention to improve bovine trypanosomiasis knowledge and appropriate use of trypanocidal drugs on smallholder farms in Kenya," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 261-272, May.
- Simianer, H., 2005. "Decision making in livestock conservation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 559-572, June.
- Falconi, Cesar A. & Omamo, Steven Were & d'Ieteren, Guy & Iraqi, Fuad, 2001. "An ex ante economic and policy analysis of research on genetic resistance to livestock disease: trypanosomosis in Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 25(2-3), pages 153-163, September.
- Simianer, H. & Marti, S. B. & Gibson, J. & Hanotte, O. & Rege, J. E. O., 2003. "An approach to the optimal allocation of conservation funds to minimize loss of genetic diversity between livestock breeds," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 377-392, July.
- Berrang-Ford, Lea & Garton, Kelly, 2013. "Expert knowledge sourcing for public health surveillance: National tsetse mapping in Uganda," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 246-255.
- Thornton, Philip K. & Whitbread, Anthony & Baedeker, Tobias & Cairns, Jill & Claessens, Lieven & Baethgen, Walter & Bunn, Christian & Friedmann, Michael & Giller, Ken E. & Herrero, Mario & Howden, Mar, 2018. "A framework for priority-setting in climate smart agriculture research," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 167(C), pages 161-175.
- Ouma, Emily Awuor & Abdulai, Awudu, 2006. "Contribution of Economics to Design of Sustainable Cattle Breeding Programs in Eastern Africa: A Choice Experiment Approach," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25587, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ouma, Emily Awuor & Abdulai, Awudu & Drucker, Adam G., 2005. "Assessment of Farmer Preferences for Cattle Traits in Cattle Production Systems of Kenya," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24730, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- L. Zaibet & S. Traore & A. Ayantunde & K. Marshall & N. Johnson & M. Siegmund-Schultze, 2011. "Livelihood strategies in endemic livestock production systems in sub-humid zone of West Africa: trends, trade-offs and implications," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 87-105, February.
- McCarthy, Nancy & McDermott, John & Coleman, Paul, 2003. "Animal health and the role of communities: an example of trypanasomosis control options in Uganda," EPTD discussion papers 103, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Oscar Flórez-Vargas & Michael Bramhall & Harry Noyes & Sheena Cruickshank & Robert Stevens & Andy Brass, 2014. "The Quality of Methods Reporting in Parasitology Experiments," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 9(7), pages 1-14, July.
- Sabine Liebenehm & Bernard Bett & Cristobal Verdugo & Mohamed Said, 2016. "Optimal Drug Control under Risk of Drug Resistance – The Case of African Animal Trypanosomosis," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(2), pages 510-533, June.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Steinfeld, Henning & Ehui, Simeon K. & Courbois, Claude, 1999. "Livestock to 2020: the next food revolution," 2020 vision discussion papers 28, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ciarli, Tommaso & Ràfols, Ismael, 2019.
"The relation between research priorities and societal demands: The case of rice,"
Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 949-967.
- Tommaso Ciarli & Ismael Ràfols, 2018. "The Relation Between Research Priorities and Societal Demands: The Case of Rice," SPRU Working Paper Series 2018-12, SPRU - Science Policy Research Unit, University of Sussex Business School.
- Hengsdijk, H. & Bouman, B. A. M. & Nieuwenhuyse, A. & Jansen, H. G. P., 1999. "Quantification of land use systems using technical coefficient generators: a case study for the Northern Atlantic zone of Costa Rica," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 109-121, August.
- Klerkx, Laurens & Leeuwis, Cees, 2008. "Institutionalizing end-user demand steering in agricultural R&D: Farmer levy funding of R&D in The Netherlands," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 460-472, April.
- Baffes, John & Gautam, Madhur, 2001. "Assessing the sustainability of rice production growth in Bangladesh," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 515-542, October.
- Tuffa, Samuel & Treydte, Anna C., 2017. "Modeling Boran cattle populations under climate change and varying carrying capacity," Ecological Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 352(C), pages 113-127.
- Somda, Jacques & Kamuanga, Mulumba & Tollens, Eric, 2005. "Characteristics and economic viability of milk production in the smallholder farming systems in The Gambia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 42-58, July.
- Arega D. Alene & V. M. Manyong & Eric F. Tollens & Steffen Abele, 2009. "Efficiency–equity tradeoffs and the scope for resource reallocation in agricultural research: evidence from Nigeria," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Anwar Naseem & David J. Spielman & Steven Were Omamo, 2010. "Private-sector investment in R&D: a review of policy options to promote its growth in developing-country agriculture," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(1), pages 143-173.
- Lesnoff, M., 1999. "Dynamics of a sheep population in a Sahelian area (Ndiagne district in Senegal): a periodic matrix model," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 207-221, September.
- Bonny, Sylvie, 2000. "Will Biotechnology Lead To More Sustainable Agriculture?," Transitions in Agbiotech: Economics of Strategy and Policy, June 24-25, 1999, Washington, D.C. 26017, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Walker, Thomas S. & Pitoro, Raul & Tomo, Alda & Sitoe, Isabel & Salencia, Celestino & Mahanzule, Rosalina & Donovan, Cynthia & Mazuze, Feliciano M., 2006. "Estabelecimento de Prioridades para a Investigação Agrária no Sector Público em Moçambique Baseado nos Dados do Trabalho de Inquérito Agrícola (TIA)," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 55866, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- HUBERT Marie-HÃ©lÃ¨ne & MOREAUX Michel, 2007. "The challenge of meeting the future food needs," LERNA Working Papers 07.17.238, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Arega D Alene & Tahirou Abdoulaye & Joseph Rusike & Ricardo Labarta & Bernardo Creamer & Martha del Río & Hernan Ceballos & Luis Augusto Becerra, 2018. "Identifying crop research priorities based on potential economic and poverty reduction impacts: The case of cassava in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 13(8), pages 1-18, August.
- Swinnen, Johan F. M. & Gorter, Harry de & Rausser, Gordon C. & Banerjee, Anurag N., 2000. "The political economy of public research investment and commodity policies in agriculture: an empirical study," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 111-122, March.
- James, A. D. & Carles, A. B., 1996. "Measuring the productivity of grazing and foraging livestock," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 52(2-3), pages 271-291.
- Spencer, Dunstan S. C., 1994. "Infrastructure and technology constraints to agricultural development in the humid and subhumid tropics of Africa:," EPTD discussion papers 3, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Roehlano M. Briones & Madan M. Dey & A. K. M. Mahfuzuddin Ahmed & Mark Prein & Ilona Stobutzki, 2008. "Priority setting for research on aquatic resources: an application of modified economic surplus analysis to natural resource systems," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(2), pages 231-243, September.
- Dostie, B. & Haggblade, S. & Randriamamonjy, J., 2002.
"Seasonal poverty in Madagascar: magnitude and solutions,"
Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5-6), pages 493-518.
- Benoit Dostie & Steven Haggblade & Josée Randriamamonjy, 2002. "Seasonal Poverty in Madagascar: Magnitude and Solutions," Cahiers de recherche 02-09, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Byerlee, Derek R. & Pingali, Prabhu L., 1995. "Asian NARS: Frustrations and Fulfilments," 1994 Conference, August 22-29, 1994, Harare, Zimbabwe 183444, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agisys:v:59:y:1999:i:1:p:79-98. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/agsy .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Catherine Liu (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/agsy .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.