Sustaining growth in agriculture: A quantitative review of agricultural research investments
Growth in agriculture depends on many things but one of the most important is investment in agricultural research. Decision making in the agricultural research policy area can only be aided by access to better information. This article overviews a recent endeavor to move policy dialogue beyond merely qualitative impressions towards a process that is underpinned with new and cogent data. The data used have been assembled at ISNAR in a manner designed to make comparisons both over time and between countries more valid than has been the case in the past. The comparisons thus possible reveal considerable diversity both between countries and between broad regional aggregations. Also illuminated here are issues related to the commodity orientation, capital and labor intensity, and size and scope of particular national programs.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judd, M Ann & Boyce, James K & Evenson, Robert E, 1986. "Investing in Agricultural Supply: The Determinants of Agricultural Research and Extension Investment," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(1), pages 77-113, October.
- Summers, Robert & Heston, Alan, 1991. "The Penn World Table (Mark 5): An Expanded Set of International Comparisons, 1950-1988," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 327-68, May.
- Mergen, Francois, et al, 1988. "Forestry Research: A Provisional Global Inventory," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(1), pages 149-71, October.
- Pardey, Philip G. & Sandra Kang, M. & Elliott, Howard, 1989.
"Structure of public support for national agricultural research systems: A political economy perspective,"
Blackwell, vol. 3(4), pages 261-278, December.
- Pardey, Philip G. & Kang, M. Sandra & Elliott, Howard, 1989. "Structure of Public Support for National Agricultural Research Systems: A Political Economy Perspective," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 3(4), December.
- Evenson, Robert E & Kislev, Yoav, 1975. " Investment in Agricultural Research and Extension: A Survey of International Data," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(3), pages 507-21, April.
- Summers, Robert & Heston, Alan, 1988. "A New Set of International Comparisons of Real Product and Price Levels Estimates for 130 Countries, 1950-1985," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 34(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Byerlee, Derek & Morris, Michael, 1993. "Research for marginal environments : Are we underinvested?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 381-393, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agecon:v:10:y:1994:i:2:p:107-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.