Investments in African agricultural research:
Over the past three decades the development of agricultural research staff in sub-Saharan Africa has been impressive. Developments in agricultural research expenditures were less positive. Many of the developments of the past decade in personnel, expenditures, and sources of support for public-sector R&D in Africa are not sustainable. The rapid buildup of research staff is not paralleled by an equal growth in financial resources. Spending per scientist has continuously declined during the past 30 years, but most dramatically during the 1980s. Resources are spread increasingly thin over a growing group of researchers, which has negative effects on the efficiency and effectiveness of agricultural research.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eicher, Carl K., 1990. "Building African scientific capacity for agricultural development," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 117-143, June.
- Weijenberg, J. & Dagg, M. & Kampen, J. & Kalunda, M. & Mailu, A.M. & Ketema, S. & avarro, L. & Adi Noor, M., 1995. "Strenghtening National Agricultural Research Systems in Eastern and Central Africa. A Framework for Action," Papers 290, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- World Bank, 1995. "African Development Indicators 1994-95," World Bank Other Operational Studies 9984, The World Bank.
- Thirtle, Colin & Echeverria, Ruben G., 1994. "Privatization and the roles of public and private institutions in agricultural research in sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 31-44, February.
- Taylor, A. & Boukambou, G. & Dahniya, M. & Ouayogode, B. & Ayling, R. & Noor, M.A. & Toure, M., 1996. "Strengthening National Agricultural Research Systems in the Humid and Sub-Humid Zones of West and Central Africa: A Framework for Action," Papers 318, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Pardey, Philip G. & Roseboom, Johannes, 1994.
"Sustaining growth in agriculture: a quantitative review of agricultural research investments,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(2), April.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Pardey, Philip G. & Roseboom, Johannes, 1994. "Sustaining growth in agriculture: A quantitative review of agricultural research investments," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 107-123, April.
- Julian M. Alston & Philip G. Pardey & Jennifer S. James & Matthew A. Anderson, 2009. "The Economics of Agricultural R&D," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 537-566, 09.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:106:y:1991:i:2:p:327-68 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eicher, Carl K., 1990. "Building African Scientific Capacity for Agricultural Development," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 4(2), June.
- Lipton, Michael, 1988. "The place of agricultural research in the development of sub-Saharan Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(10), pages 1231-1257, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:eptddp:14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.