Oil prices and trade balance: A wavelet based analysis for India
The study examinations lead-lag relationship between real oil price (ROP) and real trade balance (RTB) for India using monthly data and covering period from January 1980 to December 2011. To in depth examine the issue, study decomposes the time-frequency relationship between ROP and RTB utilising continuous wavelet approach. Result of the Rua's (2010) measure of wavelet cohesion show that there was high degree of positive correlation in the 0.25-0.5 years-scale corresponding to 1983-1984 and 1986-1989; and in the 0.75-2 years-scale corresponding to 2008-2010. However, evidence of high negative correlation was found in 0.5-1 years-scale corresponding to 1987-1990, 1994-1996 and 2001-2005 and evidence of strong negative correlation was found in 1.75-2.25 years-scale corresponding to 1990-1997. Further, results of wavelet coherence analysis show that in the significant region of coherency and corresponding year-scales, real oil price was leading over India's trade balance indicating that an increase in the oil price will increase India's trade balance. These results corroborate the findings in Le and Chang (2013) and contrary to the findings in Hassan and Zaman (2012).
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollino, Carlo Andrea, 2007. "Oil prices and the U.S. trade deficit," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 729-738.
- Barsky, Robert & Kilian, Lutz, 2004.
"Oil and the Macroeconomy Since the 1970s,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4496, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Bodenstein & Christopher J. Erceg & Luca Guerrieri, 2007.
"Oil shocks and external adjustment,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
897, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Le, Thai-Ha & Chang, Youngho, 2013. "Oil price shocks and trade imbalances," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 78-96.
- Kim, In-Moo & Loungani, Prakash, 1992.
"The role of energy in real business cycle models,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 173-189, April.
- Rua, António & Nunes, Luís C., 2009.
"International comovement of stock market returns: A wavelet analysis,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 632-639, September.
- António Rua & Luís Catela Nunes, 2009. "International comovement of stock market returns: a wavelet analysis," Working Papers w200904, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar, 2013. "Oil prices and the macroeconomy reconsideration for Germany: Using continuous wavelet," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 636-642.
- António Rua, 2010.
"Measuring comovement in the time-frequency space,"
w201001, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Lutz Kilian & Alessandro Rebucci & Nikola Spatafora, 2007.
"Oil Shocks and External Balances,"
562, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Hassan, Syeda Anam & Zaman, Khalid, 2012. "Effect of oil prices on trade balance: New insights into the cointegration relationship from Pakistan," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2125-2143.
- Backus, David K. & Crucini, Mario J., 2000.
"Oil prices and the terms of trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 185-213, February.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Maria Soares, 2011. "Oil and the macroeconomy: using wavelets to analyze old issues," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 645-655, May.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-13-00405. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.