Exchange Rate Pass-Through To Domestic Prices: The Case Of Colombia
This study uses an econometric framework based on an unrestricted vector autoregressive (VAR) model to study exchange rate pass-through to import, producer and consumer prices in Colombia. Exchange rate pass-through is shown to be incomplete. Import prices, nevertheless, respond quickly to an exchange rate change, where some 80 percent of such a change is passed onto prices of imports within 12 months. The corresponding figure for producer prices is 28 percent and for consumer prices 8 percent. We can, consequently, conclude that pass-through is modest for producer prices and very limited for consumer prices. An exchange rate shock does, therefore, only have limited impact on consumer price inflation.
Volume (Year): 22 (2004)
Issue (Month): 47 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marston, Richard C., 1990. "Pricing to market in Japanese manufacturing," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 217-236, November.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Sergio R.C. Werlang, 2000.
"The pass-through from depreciation to inflation : a panel study,"
Textos para discussão
423, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Ilan Goldfajn & Sérgio Ribeiro da Costa Werlang, 2000. "The Pass-through from Depreciation to Inflation: A Panel Study," Working Papers Series 5, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Kim, Yoonbai, 1991. "External Adjustments and Exchange Rate Flexibility: Some Evidence from U.S. Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 176-181, February.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1987.
"Exchange Rates and Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 93-106, March.
- Athukorala, Premachandra & Menon, Jayant, 1994.
"Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 271-281, March.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1992. "Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports," Working Papers 1992.32 EDIRC Provider-In, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1992. "Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports," Working Papers 1992.32, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Giovanni P. Olivei, 2002. "Exchange rates and the prices of manufacturing products imported into the United States," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Q 1, pages 3-18.
- Leonardo Villar & Hernán Rincón, "undated".
"The Colombian Economy in the nineties: Capital Flows and Foreign Exchange Regimes,"
Borradores de Economia
149, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Leonardo Villar & Hernán Rincón, 2000. "The Colombian Economy In The Nineties: Capital Flows And Foreign Exchange Regimes," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003575, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Isard,Peter, 1995. "Exchange Rate Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521466004, December.
- Stanley W. Kardasz & Kenneth R. Stollery, 2001. "Exchange rate pass-through and its determinants in Canadian manufacturing industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(3), pages 719-738, August.
- By Shinji Takagi & Yushi Yoshida, 2001. "Exchange Rate Movements and Tradable Goods Prices in East Asia: An Analysis Based on Japanese Customs Data, 1988–1999," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(2), pages 266-289.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 1990.
"Exchange Rate Pass Through: The Case of Korean Exports of Manufacturers,"
1990.08, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Athukorala, Premachandra, 1991. "Exchange rate pass-through : The case of Korean exports of manufactures," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 79-84, January.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 1990. "Exchange Rate Pass Through: The Case of Korean Exports of Manufacturers," Working Papers 1990.08 EDIRC Provider-In, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Catherine L. Mann, 1986. "Prices, profit margins, and exchange rates," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jun, pages 366-379.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Jane E. Ihrig, 2001. "Monetary policy and exchange rate pass-through," International Finance Discussion Papers 704, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Isard,Peter, 1995. "Exchange Rate Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521460477, December.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2007.
"Pass-Through of Exchange Rates and Import Prices to Domestic Inflation in Some Industrialized Economies,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 511-537, Fall.
- J. McCarthy, 1999. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialised economies," BIS Working Papers 79, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2000. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialized economies," Staff Reports 111, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Taylor, John B., 2000. "Low inflation, pass-through, and the pricing power of firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1389-1408, June.
- Feinberg, Robert M, 1991. "The Choice of Exchange-Rate Index and Domestic Price Passthrough," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 409-420, June.
- Bernhofen, Daniel M. & Xu, Peng, 2000. "Exchange rates and market power: evidence from the petrochemical industry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 283-297, December.
- Sven W. Arndt & J. David Richardson, 1987. "Real-Financial Linkages Among Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 2230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George A. Kahn, 1987. "Dollar depreciation and inflation," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Nov, pages 32-49.
- Menon, Jayant, 1995. " Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 197-231, June.
- Ki-Ho Kim, 1998. "US inflation and the dollar exchange rate: a vector error correction model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 613-619.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000107:002684. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espe)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.