The Colombian Economy in the nineties: Capital Flows and Foreign Exchange Regimes
During several decades, Colombia was considered a very special case among Latin American countries due to its outstanding economic stability. Despite deep political problems and a long tradition of violence, economic growth was sustained. Colombia experienced moderate economic cycles and a steady GDP growth (Banco Interamericano de Desarrollo, 1995). Between 1931 and 1998, the rate of growth of GDP was always positive and inflation was kept under control, although the latter one remained at moderately high levels, between 20% and 30%, during almost three decades starting in the early seventies. Quoting Dornbusch and Fisher (1992), Colombia was, “par excellence, the country of moderate inflation”. Before the nineties, Colombian economic stability was well grounded in a relatively orthodox fiscal policy, a monetary policy that was complacent with inertial inflation but which had a high degree of aversion against inflation rates above 30%, and a foreign exchange policy that gave heavy weight to real exchange rate stability among other policy objectives.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.org/publicaciones/pub_borra.htmEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi, 1994.
"Sources of Real Exchange Rate Fluctuations: How Important are Nominal Shocks?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
951, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali, 1994. "Sources of real exchange rate fluctuations: how important are nominal shocks?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Apr.
- Clarida, Richard & Gali, Jordi, 1994. "Sources of real exchange-rate fluctuations: How important are nominal shocks?," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 1-56, December.
- Clarida, R. & Gali, J., 1993. "Sources of Real Exchange Rate Fluctuations: How Important are Nominal Shocks?," Discussion Papers 1993_25, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali, 1994. "Sources of Real Exchange Rate Fluctuations: How Important are Nominal Shocks?," NBER Working Papers 4658, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordi Galí & Richard Clarida, 1993. "Sources of real exchage rate fluctuations: How important are nominal shocks?," Economics Working Papers 66, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jan 1994.
- Alan C. Stockman, 1978.
"A Theory of Exchange Rate Determination,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
122, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Peter J. Montiel, 1987. "Real Exchange Rate Dynamics in a Small, Primary-Exporting Country," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(4), pages 681-710, December.
- Eliane A. Cardoso & Ilan Goldfajn, 1997.
"Capital Flows to Brazil-The Endogeneity of Capital Controls,"
IMF Working Papers
97/115, International Monetary Fund.
- Eliana Cardoso & Ilan Goldfajn, 1998. "Capital Flows to Brazil: The Endogeneity of Capital Controls," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 161-202, March.
- Leonardo Villar Gómez, 2000. "Política cambiaria en un proceso de ajuste ordenado," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(3), pages 118-125, mayo-juni.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1982.
"The Real Interest Rate: A Multi-Country Empirical Study,"
NBER Working Papers
1047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1984. "The Real Interest Rate: A Multi-Country Empirical Study," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 283-311, May.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:6:y:1990:i:2:p:171-261 is not listed on IDEAS
- Meese, Richard A & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1988.
" Was It Real? The Exchange Rate-Interest Differential Relation over the Modern Floating-Rate Period,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 933-48, September.
- Meese, R. & Rogoff, K., 1988. "Was It Real? The Exchange Rate-Interest Differential Ralation Over The Modern Floating-Rate Period," Working papers 368, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Ronald MacDonald, 1997. "What Determines Real Exchange Rates? The Long and Short of it," IMF Working Papers 97/21, International Monetary Fund.
- Ronald Mac Donald, 1998. "What Do We Really Know About Real Exchange Rates?," Working Papers 28, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Hernán Rincón, 2000.
"Efectividad del control a los flujos de capital: Un reexamen empírico de la experiencia reciente en Colombia,"
REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO,
UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Hernán Rincón, . "Efectividad del Control a los Flujos de Capital: Un Reexamen Empírico de la Experiencia Reciente en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 132, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1989. "Real Exchange Rates in the Developing Countries: Concepts and Measure- ment," NBER Working Papers 2950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael L. Mussa, 1984. "The Theory of Exchange Rate Determination," NBER Chapters, in: Exchange Rate Theory and Practice, pages 13-78 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo Mondiano & Rob Rennhack, 1989. "Movilidad De Capitales Y Politica Monetaria En Colombia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Juan Ricardo Ortega & Alejandro LÃ³pez MejÃa, 1998. "Private Saving in Colombia," IMF Working Papers 98/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Hendry, David F. & Learmer, Edward E. & Poirier, Dale J., 1990. "A Conversation on Econometric Methodology," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 171-261, June.
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Stanly Fischer, 1992. "Inflación moderada," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Cordella, Tito, 1998.
"Can Short-Term Capital Controls Promote Capital Inflows,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cordella, Tito, 2003. "Can short-term capital controls promote capital inflows?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 737-745, October.
- Tito Cordella, 1998. "Can Short-Term Capital Controls Promote Capital Inflows?," IMF Working Papers 98/131, International Monetary Fund.
- Harbo, Ingrid, et al, 1998. "Asymptotic Inference on Cointegrating Rank in Partial Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(4), pages 388-99, October.
- Ronald MacDonald & Jun Nagayasu, 2000.
"The Long-Run Relationship Between Real Exchange Rates and Real Interest Rate Differentials: A Panel Study,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(1), pages 5.
- Jun Nagayasu & Ronald MacDonald, 1999. "The Long-Run Relationship Between Real Exchange Rates and Real Interest Rate Differentials; A Panel Study," IMF Working Papers 99/37, International Monetary Fund.
- Mussa, Michael, 1976. " The Exchange Rate, the Balance of Payments and Monetary and Fiscal Policy under a Regime of Controlled Floating," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 229-48.
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Stanley Fischer, 1992. "La inflación moderada," Economía Mexicana NUEVA ÉPOCA, , vol. 0(1), pages 5-70, January-J.
- Hernán Rincón, 1999. "Testing The Short And Long Run Exchange Rate Effects On The Trade Balance: The Case Of Colombia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Juan C. Jaramillo & Roberto Steiner & Natalia Salazar, 1999.
"The political economy of exchange rate policy in Colombia,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO
- Juan C. Jaramillo & Roberto Steiner & Natalia Salazar, 1999. "The Political Economy of Exchange Rate Policy in Colombia," Research Department Publications 3064, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- José Antonio Ocampo & Camilo Ernesto Tovar, 1999. "Price-based capital account regulations: the Colombian experience," DOCUMENTOS DE INVESTIGACION 003372, CEPAL NACIONES UNIDAS.
- Alberto Carrasquilla & Hernán Rincón, 1990. "Relaciones entre déficit público y ahorro privado: Aproximaciones al caso colombiano," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:149. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.