The political economy of exchange rate policy in Colombia
Since the 1960s Colombia has exhibited notorius economic stability and institutional continuity. Until rencently, the political system was based on an entreched bipartisan coalition, with little ideological confrontation. Power sharing, which was mandatory during the National Front (NF, 1954-74), lasted until 1991. Coffee, the main export, is a labor-intensive activity, taking place in thousands of family-owned small plots. Coffee producers income depends on a complez arrangement whit the government, the exchange rete being but one component.
|Date of creation:||28 Jan 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernesto H. Stein & Jorge M. Streb, 1997.
"Political Stabilization Cycles in High Inflation Economies,"
CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo.
123, Universidad del CEMA.
- Stein, Ernesto H. & Streb, Jorge M., 1998. "Political stabilization cycles in high-inflation economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 159-180, June.
- Ernesto Stein and Jorge Streb., 1994. "Political Stabilization Cycles in High Inflation Economies," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C94-039, University of California at Berkeley.
- Ernesto H. Stein & Jorge M. Streb, 1995. "Political Stabilization Cycles in High Inflation Economies," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6857, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Kenneth Rogoff & Anne Sibert, 1986.
"Elections and Macroeconomic Policy Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
1838, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Carlos Echeverry, .
"The rise and Perpetuation of a Moderate Inflation, Colombia 1970-1991,"
Borradores de Economia
050, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Juan Carlos Echeverry G., 1996. "The Rise And Perpetuation Of A Moderate Inflation, Colombia 1970-1991," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003621, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley, 1993.
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 1-44, January.
- Alex Cukierman, 1992.
"Central Bank Strategy, Credibility, and Independence: Theory and Evidence,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262031981, June.
- Cukierman Alex, 1992. "Central Bank Strategy, Credibility, And Independance: Theory And Evidence," Journal des Economistes et des Etudes Humaines, De Gruyter, vol. 3(4), pages 10, December.
- Ernesto H. Stein & Jeffry Frieden, 2000. "The Political Economy of Exchange Rate Policy in Latin America: An Analytical Overview," Research Department Publications 3118, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Adolfo Meisel Roca, .
"Autonomía de la Banca Central e Inflación: La Experiencia Colombiana, 1923-1995,"
Borradores de Economia
049, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Adolfo Meisel R., 1996. "Autonomia De La Banca Central E Inflacion La Experiencia Colombiana, 1923-1995," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002035, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Steiner, Roberto, 1998. "Colombia's income from the drug trade," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1013-1031, June.
- Mauricio Cárdenas & Roberto Steiner, 1997. "El Flujo de los Capitales Privados en Colombia," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 34(103), pages 309-337.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000123:009194. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucía Fenney Pérez)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.