Is Latin America Overcoming its Fear of Floating?
This paper analyzes the evolution of fear of floating (FOF) and its effect on output in Chile, Colombia and Mexico. It shows that there has been a gradual rise in exchange-rate volatility as the period of floating lengthens in each country. The paper anal
Volume (Year): 44 (2007)
Issue (Month): 130 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. Vicuña Mackenna 4860, Macul, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 354-4303
Fax: (562) 553-1664
Web page: http://www.economia.uc.cl
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- César Calderón & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2003.
"Macroeconomic Policies and Performance in Latin America,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
217, Central Bank of Chile.
- Calderon, Cesar & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 2003. "Macroeconomic policies and performance in Latin America," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 895-923, December.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Ansgar Belke & Kai Geisslreither & Daniel Gros, 2004.
"On the Relationship Between Exchange Rates and Interest Rates: Evidence from the Southern Cone,"
Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía,
Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 41(122), pages 35-64.
- Ansgar Belke & Kai Geisslreither & Daniel Gros, 2004. "On the Relationship Between Exchange Rates and Interest Rates: Evidence from the Southern Cone," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim 232/2004, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- P. Krugman & L. Taylor, 1976.
"Contractionary Effects of Devaluations,"
191, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Schmukler, Sergio L. & Serven, Luis, 2004.
"Global transmission of interest rates: monetary independence and currency regime,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 701-733, September.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Sergio L. Schmukler & Luis Serven, 2002. "Global Transmission of Interest Rates: Monetary Independence and Currency Regime," NBER Working Papers 8828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000.
"Fear of Floating,"
NBER Working Papers
7993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2000.
"Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialized economies,"
111, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2007. "Pass-Through of Exchange Rates and Import Prices to Domestic Inflation in Some Industrialized Economies," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 511-537, Fall.
- J. McCarthy, 1999. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialised economies," BIS Working Papers 79, Bank for International Settlements.
- Robin Brooks & Kenneth Rogoff & Ashoka Mody & Nienke Oomes & Aasim M. Husain, 2004.
"Evolution and Performance of Exchange Rate Regimes,"
IMF Occasional Papers
229, International Monetary Fund.
- Aasim M. Husain & Ashoka Mody & Nienke Oomes & Robin Brooks & Kenneth Rogoff, 2003. "Evolution and Performance of Exchange Rate Regimes," IMF Working Papers 03/243, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Rowland, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through To Domestic Prices: The Case Of Colombia,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 22(47), pages 106-125, December.
- Peter Rowland, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices: the Case of Colombia," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 22(47), pages 106-125, Diciembre.
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Alejandro M. Werner, 2002.
"Inflation Targeting in Brazil, Chile, and Mexico: Performance, Credibility, and the Exchange Rate,"
ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION,
ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 31-90, January.
- Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Alejandro Werner, 2002. "Inflation Targeting in Brazil, Chile, and Mexico: Performance, Credibility, and the Exchange Rate," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 171, Central Bank of Chile.
- Armando Baqueiro & Alejandro Diaz de Leon & Alberto Torres, 2003. "Fear of floating or fear of inflation? The role of the exchange rate pass-through," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Monetary policy in a changing environment, volume 19, pages 338-354 Bank for International Settlements.
- Roberto Frenkel & Lance Taylor, 2006. "Real Exchange Rate, Monetary Policy and Employment," Working Papers 19, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Sergio Clavijo, 2002. "Política Monetaria Y Cambiaria En Colombia: Progresos Y Desafíos (1991-2002)," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, pages -, June.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Michael Gavin & Carmen Pagés-Serra & Ernesto H. Stein, 1999. "Financial Turmoil and Choice of Exchange Rate Regime," Research Department Publications 4170, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Agustín Carstens & Alejandro Werner, 2000. "Monetary Policy and Exchange Rate Choices for Mexico," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 37(110), pages 139-175.
- Girton, Lance & Roper, Don, 1977. "A Monetary Model of Exchange Market Pressure Applied to the Postwar Canadian Experience," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 537-548, September.
- Jason Furman & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1998. "Economic Crises: Evidence and Insights from East Asia," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(2), pages 1-136.
- Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Tapia, Matias, 2002. "Inflation targeting in Chile," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 125-146, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ioe:cuadec:v:44:y:2007:i:130:p:183-209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jaime Casassus)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.