From Multifunctionality and Sustainability of Agriculture to the Social Responsibility of the Agri-food System
With regard to the agri-food system, we investigate the relationship between the concepts of multifunctionality and sustainability of agriculture and the concept of corporate social responsibility (CSR). The latter provides a theoretical link between the views on agriculture’s multifunctionality and sustainability, and between their welfare economic and capital-theoretic foundations. It encompasses a wider range of societal concerns and actors involved. Those are environmental and socio-economic impacts of food production, processing and trade, the double role of citizens as consumers and tax payers, agri-food chain governance and the role of market power that allows downstream companies in this value chain to absorb tax money and resource rents. All these issues must be taken into account when assessing the agri-food system from a sustainable development perspective. In sum, this underlines the need of developing a broader perspective that involves concern about the social responsibilities and performance of all actors along this value chain. Building on this background, we propose the concept of CSR to complement those of multifunctionality and sustainability in order to contribute to a more enlightened debate on agricultural and food policy and its contribution to sustainable development.
Volume (Year): 6 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://jsagr.org|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bromley, Daniel W & Hodge, Ian, 1990. "Private Property Rights and Presumptive Policy Entitlements: Reconsidering the Premises of Rural Policy," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 17(2), pages 197-214.
- Markus Kitzmueller & Jay Shimshack, 2012. "Economic Perspectives on Corporate Social Responsibility," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 50(1), pages 51-84, March.
- Paton, David & Siegel, Donald S., 2005. "The economics of corporate social responsibility: an overview of the special issue," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 309-312, September.
- John Gowdy, 2005. "Corporate responsibility and economic theory: an anthropological perspective," International Journal of Sustainable Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 8(4), pages 302-314.
- David P. Baron, 2001. "Private Politics, Corporate Social Responsibility, and Integrated Strategy," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 7-45, 03.
- Michael C. Jensen, 2001.
"Value Maximization, Stakeholder Theory, And The Corporate Objective Function,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 14(3), pages 8-21.
- Michael Jensen, 2001. "Value Maximisation, Stakeholder Theory, and the Corporate Objective Function," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 7(3), pages 297-317.
- Michael C. Jensen, 2010. "Value Maximization, Stakeholder Theory, and the Corporate Objective Function," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 22(1), pages 32-42.
- Hediger, Werner, 2000. "Sustainable development and social welfare," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 481-492, March.
- J.P. Gond & A. El Akremi & J. Igalens & V. Swaen, 2011. "A corporate social responsibility," Post-Print hal-00826426, HAL.
- David P. Baron & Daniel Diermeier, 2007. "Strategic Activism and Nonmarket Strategy," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 599-634, 09.
- B. Delworth Gardner, 1977. "The Economics of Agricultural Land Preservation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 59(5), pages 1027-1036.
- David P. Baron, 2007. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Social Entrepreneurship," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 683-717, 09.
- Besley, Timothy & Ghatak, Maitreesh, 2007. "Retailing public goods: The economics of corporate social responsibility," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(9), pages 1645-1663, September.
- John Hartwick, 2001. "National Accounting with Natural and Other Types of Capital," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 19(4), pages 329-341, August.
- Patrick Caron & Ernest Reig & Dirk Roep & Werner Hediger & Tristan Le Cotty & Denis Barthelemy & Anna Hadynska & Jakub Hadynski & Henk A. Oostindie & Eric Sabourin, 2008. "Multifunctionality: refocusing a spreading, loose and fashionable concept for looking at sustainability?," International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 7(4/5), pages 301-318.
- Richard J. Sexton, 2013. "Market Power, Misconceptions, and Modern Agricultural Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 95(2), pages 209-219.
- Michael Maloni & Michael Brown, 2006. "Corporate Social Responsibility in the Supply Chain: An Application in the Food Industry," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 68(1), pages 35-52, September.
- Werner Hediger & Bernard Lehmann, 2007. "Multifunctional Agriculture and the Preservation of Environmental Benefits," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 143(IV), pages 449-470, December.
- Hediger, Werner, 2010. "Welfare and capital-theoretic foundations of corporate social responsibility and corporate sustainability," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 518-526, August.
- Monika Hartmann, 2011. "Corporate social responsibility in the food sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(3), pages 297-324, August.
- Steve McCorriston, 2002. "Why should imperfect competition matter to agricultural economists?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(3), pages 349-371, July.
- S McCorriston & CW Morgan & AJ Rayner, 2001. "Price transmission: the interaction between market power and returns to scale," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 28(2), pages 143-159, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cha:ysa001:v:6:y:2013:i:1:p:59-80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Briner)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.