The Impact of Insurance Fraud Detection Systems
This article analyzes the impact of detection systems in an insurance fraud context. In a noncommitment Costly State Verification setting insurers can only detect fraudulent claims by performing costly audits, and policyholders are overcompensated by the optimal insurance contract. We show that auditing becomes more effective and overcompensation can be reduced, when insurers are able to condition their audits on the information provided by detection systems. Copyright The Journal of Risk and Insurance, 2006.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 73 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.wiley.com/bw/journal.asp?ref=0022-4367&site=1|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.wiley.com/bw/subs.asp?ref=0022-4367|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Macho-Stadler, Ines & Perez-Castrillo, J David, 2002.
"Auditing with Signals,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 69(273), pages 1-20, February.
- Inés Macho-Stadler & David Pérez-Castrillo, 1999. "Auditing with Signals," CIE Discussion Papers 1999-08, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Ines Macho-Stadler & David Perez-Castrillo, 2000. "Auditing with Signals," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0660, Econometric Society.
- Marie-CÃ©cile Fagart & Pierre Picard, 1999. "Optimal Insurance Under Random Auditing," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association), vol. 24(1), pages 29-54, June.
- Fagart, M.-C. & Picard, P., 1998. "Optimal Insurance Under Random Auditing," Papers 9808, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- M-C. Fagart & P. Picard, 1998. "Optimal insurance under random auditing," THEMA Working Papers 98-08, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Marie-Cécile Fagart & Pierre Picard, 1998. "Optimal Insurance Under Random Auditing," Working Papers 98-47, Center for Research in Economics and Statistics.
- Picard, Pierre, 1996. "Auditing claims in the insurance market with fraud: The credibility issue," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 27-56, December.
- El Bachir Belhadji & George Dionne & Faouzi Tarkhani, 2000. "A Model for the Detection of Insurance Fraud*," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan;The Geneva Association, vol. 25(4), pages 517-538, October.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Dilip Mookherjee & Ivan Png, 1989. "Optimal Auditing, Insurance, and Redistribution," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(2), pages 399-415.
- G. Dionne & F. Giuliano & P. Picard, 2002. "Optimal auditing for insurance fraud," THEMA Working Papers 2002-32, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Georges Dionne & Florence Giuliano & Pierre Picard, 2009. "Optimal auditing for insurance fraud," Post-Print hal-00367109, HAL.
- Georges Dionne & Florence Giuliano & Pierre Picard, 2003. "Optimal Auditing for Insurance Fraud," Cahiers de recherche 0329, CIRPEE.
- Demougin, Dominique & Fluet, Claude, 2001. "Monitoring versus incentives," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(9), pages 1741-1764, October.
- Inés Macho-Stadler & David Pérez-Castrillo, 2004. "Settlement in Tax Evasion Prosecution," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71(283), pages 349-368, August.
- Inés Macho-Stadler & David Pérez-Castrillo, 2001. "Settlement in Tax Evasion Prosecution," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 495.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ines Macho-Stadler & David PÃ©rez-Castrillo, 2002. "Settlement in Tax Evasion Prosecution," CESifo Working Paper Series 814, CESifo Group Munich.
- Douglas Gale & Martin Hellwig, 1985. "Incentive-Compatible Debt Contracts: The One-Period Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(4), pages 647-663.
- M. Martin Boyer, 2000. "Centralizing Insurance Fraud Investigation*," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association), vol. 25(2), pages 159-178, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)