The Impact of Insurance Fraud Detection Systems
This article analyzes the impact of detection systems in an insurance fraud context. In a noncommitment Costly State Verification setting insurers can only detect fraudulent claims by performing costly audits, and policyholders are overcompensated by the optimal insurance contract. We show that auditing becomes more effective and overcompensation can be reduced, when insurers are able to condition their audits on the information provided by detection systems. Copyright The Journal of Risk and Insurance, 2006.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 73 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.wiley.com/bw/journal.asp?ref=0022-4367&site=1|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.wiley.com/bw/subs.asp?ref=0022-4367|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Georges Dionne & Florence Giuliano & Pierre Picard, 2009.
"Optimal auditing for insurance fraud,"
- Georges Dionne & Florence Giuliano & Pierre Picard, 2003. "Optimal Auditing for Insurance Fraud," Cahiers de recherche 0329, CIRPEE.
- G. Dionne & F. Giuliano & P. Picard, 2002. "Optimal auditing for insurance fraud," THEMA Working Papers 2002-32, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Ines Macho-Stadler & David Pérez-Castrillo, 2002.
"Settlement in Tax Evasion Prosecution,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
814, CESifo Group Munich.
- Picard, Pierre, 1996. "Auditing claims in the insurance market with fraud: The credibility issue," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 27-56, December.
- Marie-Cécile Fagart & Pierre Picard, 1998.
"Optimal Insurance Under Random Auditing,"
98-47, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- M-C. Fagart & P. Picard, 1998. "Optimal insurance under random auditing," THEMA Working Papers 98-08, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Fagart, M.-C. & Picard, P., 1998. "Optimal Insurance Under Random Auditing," Papers 9808, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- El Bachir Belhadji & George Dionne & Faouzi Tarkhani, 2000. "A Model for the Detection of Insurance Fraud*," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(4), pages 517-538, October.
- Picard, Pierre, 1994. "Auditing claims in insurance market with fraud : the credibility issue," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9420, CEPREMAP.
- Douglas Gale & Martin Hellwig, 1985. "Incentive-Compatible Debt Contracts: The One-Period Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(4), pages 647-663.
- Demougin, Dominique & Fluet, Claude, 2001. "Monitoring versus incentives," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(9), pages 1741-1764, October.
- Inés Macho-Stadler & David Pérez-Castrillo, 1999.
"Auditing with Signals,"
CIE Discussion Papers
1999-08, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Ines Macho-Stadler & David Perez-Castrillo, 2000. "Auditing with Signals," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0660, Econometric Society.
- Dilip Mookherjee & Ivan Png, 1989. "Optimal Auditing, Insurance, and Redistribution," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(2), pages 399-415.
- M. Martin Boyer, 2000. "Centralizing Insurance Fraud Investigation*," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 159-178, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jrinsu:v:73:y:2006:i:3:p:421-438. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.