The impact of insurance fraud detection systems
The purpose of this paper is to characterize the impact of fraud detection systems on the auditing procedure and the equilibrium insurance contract, when a policyholder can report a loss that never occurred. Insurers can only detect fraudulent claims through a costly audit (costly state verification). With fraud detection system insurers can depend their audit on the signal of the system and auditing becomes more effective. This paper presents conditions under which insurance fraud and the resulting welfare losses can be reduced by the implementation of a costly fraud detection system that is supplied by an external third party.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.hzv-uhh.de/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- El Bachir Belhadji & George Dionne & Faouzi Tarkhani, 2000. "A Model for the Detection of Insurance Fraud*," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(4), pages 517-538, October.
- Macho-Stadler, Ines & Perez-Castrillo, J David, 2002.
"Auditing with Signals,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 69(273), pages 1-20, February.
- Ines Macho-Stadler & David Perez-Castrillo, 2000. "Auditing with Signals," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0660, Econometric Society.
- Inés Macho-Stadler & David Pérez-Castrillo, 1999. "Auditing with Signals," CIE Discussion Papers 1999-08, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Ines Macho-Stadler & David Pérez-Castrillo, 2002.
"Settlement in Tax Evasion Prosecution,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
814, CESifo Group Munich.
- M. Martin Boyer, 2000. "Centralizing Insurance Fraud Investigation*," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 159-178, December.
- Demougin, Dominique & Fluet, Claude, 2001. "Monitoring versus incentives," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(9), pages 1741-1764, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:hzvwps:8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.