Research On Futures Markets: Issues, Approaches, And Empirical Findings
This paper presents a brief assessment of the recent futures and options literature with reference only to agricultural markets. The discussion centers on the marketsÂ’ social value and economic value to firms. Issues currently unresolved are highlighted, in some cases by presenting hypotheses contrary to standard positions. Overall, the current literature describes these markets as having positive social value and serving useful functions at the firm level, but existing theory and empirical methods are criticized for many weaknesses.
Volume (Year): 14 (1989)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wilson, Paul N. & Eidman, Vernon R., 1983. "An Empirical Test Of The Interval Approach For Estimating Risk Preferences," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 8(02), December.
- Garcia, Philip & Hudson, Michael A. & Waller, Mark L., 1988. "The Pricing Efficiency Of Agricultural Futures Markets: An Analysis Of Previous Research Results," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Blank, Steven C., 1984.
"Cross Hedging Australian Cattle,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 28(02-03).
- Steven C. Blank, 1984. "Cross Hedging Australian Cattle," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 28(2-3), pages 153-162, 08-12.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Pope, Rulon D., 1982. "Hedging And Production Decisions Under A Linear Mean-Variance Preference Function," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 7(01), July.
- Peterson, Paul E. & Leuthold, Raymond M., 1982. "Using Mechanical Trading Systems To Evaluate The Weak Form Efficiency Of Futures Markets," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(01), July.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Carter, Colin A., 1982.
"Futures market efficiency in the soybean complex,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt7d48x9qc, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Marcus, Alan J, 1984. "Efficient Asset Portfolios and the Theory of Normal Backwardation: A Comment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(1), pages 162-64, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:wjagec:32449. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.