Pricing Efficiency In Agricultural Markets: Issues, Methods, And Results
The notion of price efficiency is discussed in the context of an optimal information market. Approaches for assessing price or market efficiency are examined, including temporal, spatial, and form-transformation paradigms. The interdependent nature of these paradigms is stressed. Finally, a review is conducted of recent price efficiency research in cash, futures, and manufacturing-retailing markets. Research generally has paid inadequate attention to agentsÂ’ costs, including the cost of risk and the human capital cost of acquiring and evaluating information.
Volume (Year): 14 (1989)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sporleder, Thomas L., 1984. "Policy Considerations Of Emerging Information Technologies," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
- Rausser, Gordon C & Carter, Colin, 1983.
"Futures Market Efficiency in the Soybean Complex,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 469-78, August.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Carter, Colin, 1981. "Futures market efficiency in the soybean complex," CUDARE Working Paper Series 139R, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Carter, Colin A., 1982. "Futures market efficiency in the soybean complex," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt7d48x9qc, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Kitchen, John & Rausser, Gordon C., 1989. "Interest Rates and Commodity Prices," Journal of Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 2.
- Stephen J. DeCanio, 1979. "Rational Expectations and Learning from Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(1), pages 47-57.
- Lovell, Michael C, 1986. "Tests of the Rational Expectations Hypothesis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 110-24, March.
- Jeffrey M. Perloff & Gordon C. Rausser, 1983.
"The Effect of Asymmetrically Held Information and Market Power in Agricultural Markets,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 65(2), pages 366-372.
- Perloff, Jeffrey M & Rausser, Gordon C., 1983. "The effect of asymmetrically held information and market power in agricultural markets," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt9vf0g556, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Ward, Clement E., 1984. "An Empirical Study Of Competition In The Price Discovery Process For Slaughter Lambs," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 9(01), July.
- Kinnucan, Henry W. & Sullivan, Gregory M., 1986. "Monopsonistic Food Processing And Farm Prices: The Case Of The West Alabama Catfish Industry," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
- Carter, Colin A., 1984. "An Evaluation Of Pricing Performance And Hedging Effectiveness Of The Barley Futures Market," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 9(01), July.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Bailey, DeeVon & Richardson, James W., 1984. "Investigation Of Price Discovery And Efficiency For Cash And Futures Cotton Prices," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 9(01), July.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1986.
"The Rigidity of Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 637-58, September.
- Zellner, James A., 1987. "Some Causes And Consequences Of Food Industry Conduct: A Simultaneous Analysis," Working Papers 115805, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- repec:cdl:agrebk:666281 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Grant, Warren R. & Richardson, James W. & Schnake, L.D., 1984. "Impacts Of Price Variability On Marketing Margins And Producer Viability In The Texas Wheat Industry," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 9(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:wjagec:32461. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.