Commodity futures markets: a survey
This review article describes the main contributions in the literature on commodity futures markets. It is argued that modern studies have focused primarily on technical questions, with insufficient economic content. More research needs to be directed towards understanding fundamental economic issues such as why so few farmers hedge, the impacts of government farm programs on commodity futures, and the market impacts of commodity pools. The literature has failed to explain the prevalence of inverted markets in grains and oilseeds, and there is unexplainable price volatility in markets such as hogs and orange juice.
Volume (Year): 43 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baur, Robert F & Orazem, Peter F, 1994. " The Rationality and Price Effects of U.S. Department of Agriculture Forecasts of Oranges," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 681-695, June.
- B. Wade Brorsen, 1995. "Optimal Hedge Ratios with Risk-Neutral Producers and Nonlinear Borrowing Costs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(1), pages 174-181.
- STEVEN C. BLANK & COLIN A. CARTER & JEFFREY McDONALD, 1997. "Is The Market Failing Agricultural Producers Who Wish To Manage Risks?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 15(3), pages 103-112, 07.
- Blank, Steven C., 1989.
"Research On Futures Markets: Issues, Approaches, And Empirical Findings,"
Western Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(01), July.
- Blank, Steven C., 1988. "Research On Futures Markets: Issues, Approaches And Empirical Findings," Working Papers 225817, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Chan, Kalok, 1992. "Time-varying risk premia and forecastable returns in futures markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 169-193, October.
- Brennan, Donna & Williams, Jeffrey & Wright, Brian D, 1997. "Convenience Yield without the Convenience: A Spatial-Temporal Interpretation of Storage under Backwardation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(443), pages 1009-1022, July.
- Gershon Feder & Richard E. Just & Andrew Schmitz, 1980. "Futures Markets and the Theory of the Firm under Price Uncertainty," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(2), pages 317-328.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Irwin, Scott H., 1996. "Improving The Relevance Of Research On Price Forecasting And Marketing Strategies," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(1), April.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Irwin, Scott H., 1996. "Improving the Relevance of Research on Price Forecasting and Marketing Strategies," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(01), pages 68-75, April.
- Cootner, Paul H., 1967. "Speculation and Hedging," Food Research Institute Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute.
- C. A. Carter & R. M. A. Loyns, 1985. "Hedging Feedlot Cattle: A Canadian Perspective," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 67(1), pages 32-39.
- M. T. Allen & C. K. Ma & R. D. Pace, 1994. "Over-Reactions In Us Agricultural Commodity Prices," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 240-251.
- Cargill, Thomas F & Rausser, Gordon C, 1975. "Temporal Price Behavior in Commodity Futures Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1043-1053, September.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Harvey, Campbell R, 1991. "The Variation of Economic Risk Premiums," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 385-415, April.
- Bruce Bjornson & Colin A. Carter, 1997. "New Evidence on Agricultural Commodity Return Performance under Time-Varying Risk," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 918-930.
- Guillermo Donoso, 1995. "Exporting and hedging decisions with a foward currency market: The multiperiod case," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 1-11, 02.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik, 1992. "Systematic Risk, Hedging Pressure, and Risk Premiums in Futures Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(4), pages 637-667. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aareaj:117044. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.