Commodity Futures Prices As Forecasts
Futures markets provide contemporaneous price quotations for a constellation of contracts, with maturities 30 or more months in the future, and a large literature exists about interpreting these prices as forecasts. It is often preferable to think of futures markets as determining a price level and price differences appropriate to the temporal definitions of the contracts. Futures prices can be efficient in reflecting a complex set of factors, but still be "poor" forecasters. Forecasts from quantitative models cannot improve upon efficient futures prices as forecasting agents; the models provide equally poor forecasts. Analogous ideas are discussed for basis forecasts.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Warren Hall, Ithaca NY 14853|
Web page: http://aem.cornell.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanford J Grossman & Joseph E Stiglitz, 1997.
"On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1908, David K. Levine.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980. "On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Carter, Colin A., 1982.
"Futures market efficiency in the soybean complex,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt7d48x9qc, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Avraham Kamara, 1982. "Issues in futures markets: A survey," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(3), pages 261-294, 09.
- Bessler, David A. & Brandt, Jon A., 1992. "An analysis of forecasts of livestock prices," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 249-263, July.
- Emmett Elam & Bruce L. Dixon, 1988. "Examining the validity of a test of futures market efficiency," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 365-372, 06.
- Richard G. Heifner, 1966. "The Gains from Basing Grain Storage Decisions on Cash-Future Spreads," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1490-1495.
- Blank, Steven C., 1988.
"Research On Futures Markets: Issues, Approaches And Empirical Findings,"
225817, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Blank, Steven C., 1989. "Research On Futures Markets: Issues, Approaches, And Empirical Findings," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(01), July.
- William G. Tomek & Roger W. Gray, 1970. "Temporal Relationships Among Prices on Commodity Futures Markets: Their Allocative and Stabilizing Roles," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 52(3), pages 372-380.
- Kahl, Kandice H. & Tomek, William G., 1986. "Forward-Pricing Models for Futures Markets: Some Statistical and Interpretative Issues," Food Research Institute Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 01.
- Lester G. Telser, 1958. "Futures Trading and the Storage of Cotton and Wheat," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 233.
- Richard E. Just & Gordon C. Rausser, 1981. "Commodity Price Forecasting with Large-Scale Econometric Models and the Futures Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 63(2), pages 197-208.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:cudawp:127901. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.