Expectations of Cattle Feeding Investors in Feeder Cattle Placements
Cattle feeders appear irrational when they place cattle on feed when projected profits are negative. Long futures positions appear to offer superior returns to cattle feeding investment. Cattle feeder behavior suggests that they believe a downward bias in live cattle futures persists and that cattle feeders use different information than the live cattle futures market price when making placement decisions. This paper examines feeder cattle placement determinants and compares performance of expected hedgeable profits with past actual profits in explaining feeder cattle' placements. Past actual profits are found to be more important placement determinants than expected profits based upon the live cattle futures market, even though hedgeable profits provide superior forecasts of future profits.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 342 Waters Hall, Manhattan, Kansas 66506|
Web page: http://www.agecon.ksu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bradshaw, Girard W. & Orden, David, 1990. "Granger Causality From The Exchange Rate To Agricultural Prices And Export Sales," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(01), July.
- Darwin M. Pluhar & Carl E. Shafer & Thomas L. Sporleder, 1985. "The systematic downward bias in live cattle futures: A further evaluation," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 11-20, 03.
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Coulibaly, Nouhoun & Richter, Francisca G.-C. & Bailey, DeeVon, 2001. "Feeder Cattle Price Slides," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Ashley, R & Granger, C W J & Schmalensee, R, 1980. "Advertising and Aggregate Consumption: An Analysis of Causality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1149-67, July.
- James S. Eales & Brian K. Engel & Robert J. Hauser & Sarahelen R. Thompson, 1990. "Grain Price Expectations of Illinois Farmers and Grain Merchandisers," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(3), pages 701-708.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ksaesp:118159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.