Vouchers and Caseworkers in Public Training Programs: Evidence from the Hartz Reform in Germany
AbstractThis paper studies the role of training vouchers and caseworkers in public training programs. Using a rich administrative data set, we apply matching and regression methods to measure the effect of the Hartz reform in Germany, which introduced training vouchers and imposed more selective criteria on participants. Besides estimating the overall reform effect, we isolate the effect induced by changes in the composition of program participants due to stricter selection by the caseworkers (selection effect) from the effect based on the introduction of vouchers (voucher effect). Analyzing the most important type of training in Germany, we find a slightly positive impact of the reform. Our decomposition results suggest that the selection effect is − if at all − slightly negative, and that the voucher effect increased both, the employment probability and earnings of the participants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 3910.
Length: 51 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- J68 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Public Policy
- H43 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Project Evaluation; Social Discount Rate
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2009-01-31 (European Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2009-01-31 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Caliendo, Marco, 2009.
"Income Support Systems, Labor Market Policies and Labor Supply: The German Experience,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4665, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Caliendo, Marco, 2009. "Income support systems, labor market policies and labor supply: the German experience," Working Paper Series, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy 2009:26, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Paul, Marie & DÃ¶rr, Annabelle & Fitzenberger, Bernd & Kruppe, Thomas & Strittmatter, Anthony, 2013. "The Award of a Training Voucher and Labor Market Outcomes," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79918, Verein fÃ¼r Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Anita WÃ¶lfl & Juan S. Mora-Sanguinetti, 2011. "Reforming the Labour Market in Spain," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 845, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.