Estimating the Effects of Length of Exposure to Instruction in a Training Program: The Case of Job Corps
AbstractWe semiparametrically estimate average causal effects of different lengths of exposure to academic and vocational instruction in the Job Corps (JC) under the assumption that selection into different lengths is based on a rich set of observed covariates and time-invariant factors. We find that the estimated effects on future earnings increase in the length of exposure and that the marginal effects of additional instruction decrease with length of exposure. We also document differences in the estimated effects across demographic groups, which are particularly large between males and females. Finally, our results suggest an important lock-in effect in JC training. No rights reserved. This work was authored as part of the Contributor's official duties as an Employee of the United States Government and is therefore a work of the United States Government. In accordance with 17 U.S.C. 105, no copyright protection is available for such works under U.S. law..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 94 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- BIA Michela & FLORES Carlos A. & FLORES-LAGUNES Alfonso & MATTEI Alessandra, 2013. "A Stata package for the application of semiparametric estimators of dose-response functions," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2013-07, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Dammert, Ana C. & Galdo, Jose C., 2013.
"Program Quality and Treatment Completion for Youth Training Programs,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7394, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dammert, Ana C. & Galdo, Jose, 2013. "Program quality and treatment completion for youth training programs," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 119(3), pages 243-246.
- Galdo, Jose & Chong, Alberto, 2012. "Does the quality of public-sponsored training programs matter? Evidence from bidding processes data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 970-986.
- Kluve, Jochen & Rinne, Ulf & Uhlendorff, Arne & Zhao, Zhong, 2012.
"Endogenous Exit Bias in Training Programs for Unemployed Workers,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6565, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kluve, Jochen & Rinne, Ulf & Uhlendorff, Arne & Zhao, Zhong, 2013. "The impact of training duration on employment outcomes: Evidence from LATE estimates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(3), pages 487-490.
- Kluve, Jochen, 2013. "Aktive Arbeitsmarktpolitik: Maßnahmen, Zielsetzungen, Wirkungen," Working Papers 07/2013, German Council of Economic Experts / Sachverständigenrat zur Begutachtung der gesamtwirtschaftlichen Entwicklung.
- Serrano-Domingo, Guadalupe & Requena-Silvente, Francisco, 2013. "Re-examining the migration–trade link using province data: An application of the generalized propensity score," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 247-261.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.