Consumption of Dairy Products in Urban China: Results from Beijing, Shangai and Guangzhou
AbstractUsing urban survey data collected by the authors in 2001-2002, this paper analyzes demographics, cultural factors, and purchasing behaviors influencing the consumption of fresh milk, yogurt, ice cream, and powered milk in Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou, China. Results from estimation of a double-hurdle model of consumption show that income and marketing channels are the key determinants of milk consumption levels; however, education, advertising, and convenience play a more important role in consumption of other dairy products. There is some evidence that milk powder, as a consumer good, may be becoming an inferior product in urban China. Finally, the survey data suggest that the growing sophistication of China's retail sector is influencing consumption of dairy products.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 12730.
Date of creation: 29 Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, December 2007, vol. 51 no. 4, pp. 459-474
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Fuller, Frank H. & Beghin, John C. & Rozelle, Scott, 2007. "Consumption of dairy products in urban China: results from Beijing, Shangai and Guangzhou," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(4), December.
- Frank Fuller & John Beghin & Scott Rozelle, 2007. "Consumption of dairy products in urban China: results from Beijing, Shangai and Guangzhou," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(4), pages 459-474, December.
- NEP-AGR-2007-03-03 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2007-03-03 (China)
- NEP-MKT-2007-03-03 (Marketing)
- NEP-SEA-2007-03-03 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huang, Jikun & Bouis, Howarth E., 1996.
"Structural changes in the demand for food in Asia,"
2020 vision briefs
41, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Huang, Jikun. & Bouis, Howarth E., 1996. "Structural changes in the demand for food in Asia.:," 2020 vision discussion papers 11, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Steven T. Yen & Helen H. Jensen, 1995.
"Determinants of Household Expenditures on Alcohol,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
95-wp144, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Ahn, Hyungtaik & Powell, James L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of censored selection models with a nonparametric selection mechanism," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 3-29, July.
- Rutherford, A.S., 1999. "Meat and milk self-sufficiency in Asia: forecast trends and implications," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 21(1), August.
- Deaton, Angus, 1988.
"Quality, Quantity, and Spatial Variation of Price,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 418-30, June.
- Cragg, John G, 1971. "Some Statistical Models for Limited Dependent Variables with Application to the Demand for Durable Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 829-44, September.
- Beghin, John C. & Metcalfe, Mark R., 2000. "Market Hogs?," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 15(1).
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Paris, Quirino & Caputo, Michael R., 2001. "Sensitivity Of The Gme Estimates To Support Bounds," Working Papers 11966, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Blundell, Richard & Meghir, Costas, 1987. "Bivariate alternatives to the Tobit model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 179-200.
- Thomas Reardon & C. Peter Timmer & Christopher B. Barrett & Julio Berdegué, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1140-1146.
- James Tobin, 1956. "Estimation of Relationships for Limited Dependent Variables," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 3R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Allan N. Rae, 1997. "Changing food consumption patterns in East Asia: Implications of the trend towards livestock products," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 33-44.
- Amos Golan & Enrico Moretti & Jeffrey M.Perloff, 2004.
"A Small-Sample Estimator for the Sample-Selection Model,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(1), pages 71-91.
- Golan, Amos & Moretti, Enrico & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 2001. "A small-sample estimator for the sample-selection model," CUDARE Working Paper Series 955, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Golan, Amos & Moretti, Enrico & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 2001. "A Small-Sample Estimator for the Sample-Selection Model," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt4c82d2nv, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Angulo, Ana Maria & Gil, Jose Maria & Gracia, Azucena, 2001. "The demand for alcoholic beverages in Spain," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 71-83, October.
- Rutherford, A. S., 1999. "Meat and milk self-sufficiency in Asia: forecast trends and implications," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 21-39, August.
- Golan, Amos & Judge, George G. & Miller, Douglas, 1996. "Maximum Entropy Econometrics," Staff General Research Papers 1488, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gould, Brian W. & Dong, Diansheng, 2004.
"Product Quality And The Demand For Food: The Case Of Urban China,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20010, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dong, Diansheng & Gould, Brian W., 2007. "Product Quality and the Demand for Food: The Case of Urban China," China's Agricultural Trade: Issues and Prospects Symposium, July 2007, Beijing, China 55030, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Wang, Ji-Min & Zhou, Zhang-Yue & Yang, Jun, 2004. "How Much Animal Product do the Chinese Consume? Empirical Evidence from Household Surveys," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 12.
- Zhang, Wei & Wang, Qingbin, 2003. "Changes In China'S Urban Food Consumption And Implications For Trade," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21986, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- repec:ags:auagre:126561 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dinghuan Hu & Thomas Reardon & Scott Rozelle & Peter Timmer & Honglin Wang, 2004. "The Emergence of Supermarkets with Chinese Characteristics: Challenges and Opportunities for China's Agricultural Development," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22, pages 557-586, 09.
- Jensen, Kimberly L., 1995. "Fluid Milk Purchase Patterns In The South: Effects Of Use Of Nutrition Information And Household Characteristics," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Xiu, Changbai & Klein, K.K., 2010. "Melamine in milk products in China: Examining the factors that led to deliberate use of the contaminant," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 463-470, October.
- Huang, Jikun & Wu, Yunhua & Yang, Zhijian & Rozelle, Scott & Fabiosa, Jacinto & Dong, Fengxia, 2012. "Marketing China's milk: A case study of the sales activity of dairy farmers in greater Beijing," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 675-689.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.