Changing food consumption patterns in East Asia: Implications of the trend towards livestock products
AbstractRapid economic growth in East Asia is encouraging the increased contribution of livestock products to human diets. Consumption functions are estimated for white and red meats and dairy products and used to make projections to the year 2002. Consumption projections are next compared with likely developments in domestic production of livestock products. It is concluded that increased volumes of red meat imports will be required, that increased demand for white meat imports will be partially satisfied from within the region, and that all study countries will require increased dairy product imports. Uruguay Round implications are also considered. © 1997 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 13 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rae, Allan N., 1992. "Interaction between livestock and feeds policies: Evidence from Southeast Asia," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 25-37, June.
- Kym Anderson & Will Martin, 2009.
"Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Asia,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 2611, March.
- Rae, Allan N. & Kasryno, Faisal, 1993. "A Pam Analysis Of Livestock Policies In Indonesia," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 22(1), April.
- Tyers,Rod & Anderson,Kym, 2011.
"Disarray in World Food Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521172318, December.
- Coyle, W. T. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Yamauchi, H., 1992. "Agriculture and Trade in the Pacific: Toward the Twenty-First Century," Staff General Research Papers 449, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hsu, Jane Lu & Wann, Joyce J., 2001. "Competitiveness And Consumer Preferences Of Us Fruits In Taiwan," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20488, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dong, Fengxia, 2006. "The outlook for Asian dairy markets: The role of demographics, income, and prices," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 260-271, June.
- Beghin, John C., 2006.
"Evolving dairy markets in Asia: Recent findings and implications,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 195-200, June.
- Beghin, John C., 2006. "Evolving Dairy Markets in Asia: Recent Findings and Implications," Staff General Research Papers 12506, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Dong, Fengxia, 2005. "Outlook for Asian Dairy Markets: The Role of Demographics, Income, and Prices," Staff General Research Papers 12379, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fuller, Frank H. & Beghin, John C. & Rozelle, Scott, 2007.
"Consumption of Dairy Products in Urban China: Results from Beijing, Shangai and Guangzhou,"
Staff General Research Papers
12730, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fuller, Frank H. & Beghin, John C. & Rozelle, Scott, 2007. "Consumption of dairy products in urban China: results from Beijing, Shangai and Guangzhou," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(4), December.
- Frank Fuller & John Beghin & Scott Rozelle, 2007. "Consumption of dairy products in urban China: results from Beijing, Shangai and Guangzhou," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(4), pages 459-474, December.
- Ma, Hengyun & Rae, Allan N., 2003.
"Projections Of Dairy Product Consumption And Trade Opportunities In China,"
China Agriculture Project Working Papers
23690, Massey University, Centre for Applied Economics and Policy Studies.
- Ma, Hengyun & Rae, Allan N., 2004. "Projections of Dairy Product Consumption and Trade Opportunities in China," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 12.
- Jane Lu Hsu & Joyce Jong-Wen Wann, 2004. "Competitiveness and consumer preferences of U.S. fruits in Taiwan," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 433-448.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.