China’s agriculture, smallholders and trade: driven by the livestock revolution?
AbstractChina’s sustained rapid economic growth and development has contributed to the surge in consumption and production of livestock in that country termed the livestock revolution. Consumption trends are first reviewed, and changes in food consumption patterns include a marked shift away from grains and towards meats and dairy products. A question is to what extent this rapid increase in demand for livestock products is reflected in China’s agri-food trade statistics? While her agri-food imports have dramatically increased since China’s accession to the WTO, livestock products have not made a noticeable contribution, although the import of certain animal feedstuffs has. This implies China’s continuing self-sufficiency in most livestock products. The paper next considers developments in China’s livestock farming sector and policies that have been contributing to these supply-side developments. The paper concludes with an examina-tion of issues that may be important to the future development of China’s, and the world’s, livestock situation; this includes future demand developments, and the question of whether future demand growth in China might be met with local production, imports of final product, and/or imports of feedstuffs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 52 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
China; livestock; trade; domestic markets; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Colin G. & Longworth, John W. & Waldron, Scott, 2002. "Food safety and development of the beef industry in China," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 269-284, June.
- Rae, Allan N., 1998. "The effects of expenditure growth and urbanisation on food consumption in East Asia: a note on animal products," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 291-299, May.
- Ma, Hengyun & Huang, Jikun & Fuller, Frank H. & Rozelle, Scott, 2006.
"Getting Rich and Eating Out: Consumption of Food Away from Home in Urban China,"
Staff General Research Papers
12499, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hengyun Ma & Jikun Huang & Frank Fuller & Scott Rozelle, 2006. "Getting Rich and Eating Out: Consumption of Food Away from Home in Urban China," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(1), pages 101-119, 03.
- Ravi Kanbur & Xiaobo Zhang, 2005.
"Fifty Years of Regional Inequality in China: a Journey Through Central Planning, Reform, and Openness,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 87-106, 02.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2004. "Fifty Years of Regional Inequality in China: A Journey through Central Planning, Reform, and Openness," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Ravi Kanbur & Xiaobo Zhang, 2004. "Fifty Years of Regional Inequality in China: A Journey Through Central Planning, Reform and Openness," Working Papers 158, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Zhou, Zhang-Yue, 2003. "Feed versus Food: The Future Challenge and Balance for Farming," Conference Proceedings 2003 124016, Crawford Fund.
- Ma, Hengyun & Rae, Allan N. & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 2004.
"Chinese animal product consumption in the 1990s,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(4), December.
- Hengyun Ma & Allan Rae & Jikun Huang & Scott Rozelle, 2004. "Chinese animal product consumption in the 1990s," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(4), pages 569-590, December.
- Rae, Allan N. & Ma, Hengyun & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 2005.
"Livestock in China: Commodity specific total factor productivity decomposition using new panel data,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19527, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Allan N. Rae & Hengyun Ma & Jikun Huang & Scott Rozelle, 2006. "Livestock in China: Commodity-Specific Total Factor Productivity Decomposition Using New Panel Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(3), pages 680-695.
- Rae, Allan N. & Ma, Hengyun & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 2005. "Livestock in China: Commodity-specific Total Factor Productivity Decomposition Using New Panel Data," 2005 Conference, August 26-27, 2005, Nelson, New Zealand 98507, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Thomas Reardon & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2004. "Agrifood Sector Liberalisation and the Rise of Supermarkets in Former State-controlled Economies: A Comparative Overview," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22, pages 515-523, 09.
- Gao, X. M. & Wailes, Eric J. & Cramer, Gail L., 1996. "Partial Rationing and Chinese Urban Household Food Demand Analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 43-62, February.
- Waldron, Scott A. & Brown, Colin G. & Longworth, John W., 2003. "Transforming Lives with Livestock-based Agribusiness," Conference Proceedings 2003 124014, Crawford Fund.
- Rae, Allan N., 1992. "Interaction between livestock and feeds policies: Evidence from Southeast Asia," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 25-37, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.