Chinese animal product consumption in the 1990s
AbstractChinese animal product consumption behaviour was analysed for both urban and rural households using a complete regional consumption dataset that was augmented to include away‐from‐home consumption. Seven animal product expenditure share equations were estimated with an extended Almost Ideal Demand System model. The results suggest that Chinese consumers will continue to increase their consumption of animal products, but that consumption patterns have changed in the 1990s. A large percentage of household animal product expenditure is still on pork. However, the shares for aquatic and poultry products consumption will increase substantially. As a consequence, the pork expenditure share will be gradually reduced as incomes grow and diet preferences change in both urban and rural households. There are significant differences in animal product consumption preferences across regions of China. As a result, studies that omit regional dummy variables in their demand systems can produce different expenditure and price parameters. The present paper also found that many of the estimates of elasticities and marginal expenditure shares would be rather different if the data ignored consumption away from home.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 48 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; Livestock Production/Industries;
Other versions of this item:
- Hengyun Ma & Allan Rae & Jikun Huang & Scott Rozelle, 2004. "Chinese animal product consumption in the 1990s," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(4), pages 569-590, December.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- X.M. Gao & Eric J. Wailes & Gail L. Cramer, 1996. "A Two-Stage Rural Household Demand Analysis: Microdata Evidence from Jiangsu Province, China," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 604-613.
- Fan, Shenggen & Cramer, Gail & Wailes, Eric, 1994. "Food demand in rural China: evidence from rural household survey," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 61-69, September.
- Han, Tong & Wahl, Thomas I., 1998. "China'S Rural Household Demand For Fruit And Vegetables," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(01), July.
- Rae, Allan N., 1998. "The effects of expenditure growth and urbanisation on food consumption in East Asia: a note on animal products," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 291-299, May.
- Wang, Ji-Min & Zhou, Zhang-Yue & Yang, Jun, 2004. "How Much Animal Product do the Chinese Consume? Empirical Evidence from Household Surveys," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 12.
- Frank H. Fuller & Dermot J. Hayes & Darnell B. Smith, 1999.
"Reconciling Chinese Meat Production and Consumption Data,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
99-wp210, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Fuller, Frank H. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Smith, Darnell, 2000. "Reconciling Chinese Meat Production and Consumption Data," Staff General Research Papers 1318, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Frank H. Fuller & Dermot J. Hayes & Darnell B. Smith, 1999. "Reconciling Chinese Meat Production and Consumption Data," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 99-wp210, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Gao, X. M. & Wailes, Eric J. & Cramer, Gail L., 1996. "Partial Rationing and Chinese Urban Household Food Demand Analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 43-62, February.
- Huang, Jikun & Bouis, Howarth, 2001. "Structural changes in the demand for food in Asia: empirical evidence from Taiwan," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 57-69, October.
- Prabhu Pingali, 2004.
"Westernization of Asian Diets and the Transformation of Food Systems: Implications for research and policy,"
04-17, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Pingali, Prabhu, 2007. "Westernization of Asian diets and the transformation of food systems: Implications for research and policy," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 281-298, June.
- Ma, Hengyun & Oxley, Les, 2011. "Are China's energy markets cointegrated?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 398-407, September.
- Hengsdijk, Huib & Guanghuo, Wang & Van den Berg, Marrit M. & Jiangdi, Wang & Wolf, Joost & Changhe, Lu & Roetter, Reimund P. & Van Keulen, Herman, 2007. "Poverty and biodiversity trade-offs in rural development: A case study for Pujiang county, China," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 851-861, June.
- Xiaohua Yu & David Abler, 2010. "Interactions between cigarette and alcohol consumption in rural China," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 151-160, April.
- Bai, Junfei & Wahl, Thomas I. & McCluskey, Jill J., 2008. "Fluid milk consumption in urban Qingdao, China," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 52(2), June.
- Filippini, M. & Masiero, G. & Moschetti, K., 2009. "Regional consumption of antibiotics: A demand system approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1389-1397, November.
- Rae, Allan N., 2008. "China’s agriculture, smallholders and trade: driven by the livestock revolution?," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 52(3), September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.